What plants with my lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeverumGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g tank, and I'm running two Aqua-glow bulbs which comes out to 80 watts. Since I'm running basically 1.5watts per gallon, what plants can I keep? I have a piece of driftwood with a java fern plant attached and I just bought a couple mondo grass plants (which apparently isn't a true aquatic plant). what else is out there that can live in this lighting?

Crypts, vals, anubias, moss, most ferns. There's a lot of plants that would do ok in your tank.

Agreed. Check out plantgeek, you can search on lighting requirements. Stay in the low to mid-low range and there's quite a large selection for you to choose from

Thanks guys. I'm digging the Java ferns because they can multiply quickly and I can get them to attach to my driftwood. I just need to look for some fuller plants.

I'm digging the Java ferns because they can multiply quickly....

They actually don't grow fast (compared to a stem/rosette plant) but are much faster than anubas.

You will find that the older leaf will start to get black spots and look like it is slowly rotting away or being attached by some form of dark algae. Actually, that is just normal propagating behavior. Before you know it, a baby plant-let will grow out and that original leaf will dissolve from the mother plant and start life on its own.

Back
Top Bottom