what rainbows are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Razzle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone. was wondering if i could get some help in identifying these rainbows. the LFS said they were trade ins and he wasn't sure. i think the 2nd pic might be an Australian. the other 3 look about the same.

thanks!

Attachments

• 20150306_145730.jpg
    20150306_145730.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 20150306_145808.jpg
    20150306_145808.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150306_150034 (1).jpg
    20150306_150034 (1).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20150306_150844.jpg
    20150306_150844.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 88
1,3,4 all look like lake kutubu/turquoise rainbows. 2 looks like m. Fluviatilis or Australian which is my favorite!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

1,3,4 all look like lake kutubu/turquoise rainbows. 2 looks like m. Fluviatilis or Australian which is my favorite!

While I'm sure you know much more than me about rainbows, I don't remember turquoise having any yellow in them? Zoom in on pic 3 and near the back there is a hint of yellow. Leading to why I said Boesemans.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just going to point this out but most rainbows are Australian, new Guinean.

I guess they go under different listings overseas.

Second pic is what I'd call a Murray river rainbow, more of a cooler water rainbow

While I'm sure you know much more than me about rainbows, I don't remember turquoise having any yellow in them? Zoom in on pic 3 and near the back there is a hint of yellow. Leading to why I said Boesemans.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Look up lake kutubu rainbows, they vary between straight turquoise and white or some showing yellow as well. Boesemani rainbows don't have the white underbelly and are split vertically, not horizontally.

Just going to point this out but most rainbows are Australian, new Guinean.

I guess they go under different listings overseas.

Second pic is what I'd call a Murray river rainbow, more of a cooler water rainbow

Murray river/fluviatilis/Australian.

Look up lake kutubu rainbows, they vary between straight turquoise and white or some showing yellow as well. Boesemani rainbows don't have the white underbelly and are split vertically, not horizontally.

Hmm. *goes to look them up as I have failed to outsmart Nigel once again* :p

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ahk sorry for sounding obnoxious before I've only ever seen them as Murray river rainbows, though I'm in Australia so I see a lot of rainbows for sale. Some of the pseudos I've seen cheaper then guppies!

Always wanted them, done a fair bit of research on them now it's more just a wait for the situation and time you know.

Ahk sorry for sounding obnoxious before I've only ever seen them as Murray river rainbows, though I'm in Australia so I see a lot of rainbows for sale. Some of the pseudos I've seen cheaper then guppies!

Always wanted them, done a fair bit of research on them now it's more just a wait for the situation and time you know.

Yeah, they call them anything and everything here. You're lucky, the "Murray river" rainbows go cheap here, like $1.99 each, but venture outside of those and you're looking at at least $10 a pop.

1, 3, 4 are 100% boesemani rainbows, they're just very young. The second one I believe is a female eastern rainbow. Please no one argue with me I know my rainbowfish.

Back
Top Bottom