what should i expect from electricity with a 196 watt light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
well my dad doesnt seem too happy about 192 watts goin for 12 hours a day. he does electrical work for his job and is all skeptical about it. did your guys' electrical bills jump from this? does it need a higher amp electrical outlet? idk what all did you have to do and what concerns should i have with all the power goin. cause for one i have 2 penguin bio wheel 170's goin a heater that i cant remember the watts but its new and meant for a 45 gallon tank. and then a powerhead and really that is a lot of power goin.

i have a 260w pc light, 5 powerheads, 2 heaters, and a flual 405 on one gfi extension cord then to a HUGE 12 outlet powerstrip. no problems so far. i use tons of juice for other things so i dont notice any price increase.

p.s. if your that worried about the power usage you can buy a simple usage meter and connect it between your entire setup and the wall outlet, then you will know exactly how juice your really using. check online for one.

I run both my 55 gallon tank and my 29 gallon reef tank on one of those 10 outlet surge protectors. I also run a skimmer, 200 watt heater, and powerhead on a single extension cord with 3 outlets. Dunno what those are called, but simply put, never had a problem with electricity. I wouldn't worry about it. Didn't notice that much of a cost increase either.

It`s using electricity but not no big jump in cost. You`ll probably not even notice.

this site can tell you how much a tank will cost, just plug in your watts, hours, and local cost (your dads an electrican, he should know how much a kilowatt and other forms cost)

hc8719 said:
this site can tell you how much a tank will cost, just plug in your watts, hours, and local cost (your dads an electrican, he should know how much a kilowatt and other forms cost)

link?

I have had 8 tanks running at the same time and if I had to take a guess at how it affected my electric bill, I'd say a whopping $3 jump. The only thing I'm sweatin is the floor caving in from all the water weight. lol

Well, lets do some math...192 watts running 12 hours a day is 2.3 kWh per day, times 365 days is 839.5 kWh each year, divided by 12 is 69.96 kWh in an average month...now assume $0.06/kWh...$4.19 worth of electricity used (not including whatever portion of distribution charges, etc your local power company charges) per month.

wow thanks guys i know my dad wont care paying that then. so maybe soon ill get some new lights.

Back
Top Bottom