What substrate you using?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just bought 9L of Amazonia. Being in the USA not exactly sure how much that is but should be enough for my 12G Edge. Is supposed to leach ammonia for 4 to 6 weeks. It will run in a plastic tote or the tank with no fish until it is safe. Can hardly wait for it to arrive. In 2 more days I hope.

Last edited:
Good topic, as I am looking right now too.

Garnet sand is my most unique substrate, it is a great color and also works good, clean and needs little rinsing. As a sandblasting sand it is widely available and also in different grit sizes.

CaribSea Naturals lovely material but it was basically white, though they have many different colors and types of substrate. Their products are really nice.

They have one which is called Instant Aquarium which you put in with no rinsing at all!

There are other sands available at the sandblasting sand distributors. Should all be pretty clean becasue of the use of them.

Petco sand as Fresh mentioned it was good but the color of the black eventually wears off a little and there are some grains that are a little light. The one color was like orange bronze & also the blue held up well too

Used Quikrete construction sand and it was pretty nice but kinda dirty. It was nearly white and it drove me crazy when I started in planted tanks because even plants let off bit and particles which litter the substrate and I used the same vacuum for the white sand tank and the black sand tank, and it would drop little black grains on to it which was too much trouble to try and get out.

Eco complete - kinda sharp but holds plants in place pretty well.

The one you mentioned in your first post popped up on my radar and it was available at a far away lfs.

Amazonia is supposed to be great, but I haven't used it personally though a neighboring hobbyist said that it took about 6 weeks to finish the ammonia leeching from it. Which I have read the same experiences echoed across the reports ~5 weeks seems to be pretty common.

Great breakdown of different substrates. I found this link and think everyone who wants to do a planted tank should check it out. This guy planted the same plants in 16 different substrates!! He then posts growth pictures. Check it out HERE

I think I will be doing a mixture of Flourite, Flourite Black Sand, and keep some of the FlorinVolcanit in there so as not to eradicate alot of the BB.

I've got a mixture of black gravel from I forgot the brand and Imagitarium brand black sand in both my 15-gallon guppy tank and my 3-gallon shrimp tank. This mixture seems to work fairly well for my tanks and looks nice as well.

Back
Top Bottom