What tiny fish coud i put in my 25 litre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been given a small tank 25litres, it's been up and running doing a fish less cycle for 2 weeks, tests are all good according to the strips ! I'm waiting delivery of my api master test kit before I put anyone in, I've also a 200 and an 80 litre established tanks that are occupied with my babies :) so although not a pro at fish I'm not totally new, just hard work here (Tenerife) not much choice and bloody useless lfs staff ... I now it's a tiny tank so need tiny fish ;)
Any recommendations greatly appreciated ..

Thanks

Suzanne

How have you been cycling the tank; with pure ammonia? 25 litres is about 6.6g so about the only fish I'd suggest is a Betta. I have a few Betta's of my own & I really like them.

Yeah I thought of that with a betta but I think I'd rather just keep it cycled then if I need to use it for quarantine I can , I can't get my head round just keeping one fish ... Seems so sad :(
Oh and yes ammonia :)

If your up for a challenge:

Scarlet badis
Goby of some sort
Dwarf puffer

These are harder to keep than a betta but are far less common.

Edit: I just realized it sounds like I suggested all of these in the same tank. They were meant separate options, and you could even do a pair of whichever one you choose.

Yeah I thought of that with a betta but I think I'd rather just keep it cycled then if I need to use it for quarantine I can , I can't get my head round just keeping one fish ... Seems so sad :(
Oh and yes ammonia :)

LOL. I understand that. I enjoy them, they're quite active & most have big personalities. The main thing is that you enjoy whatever you decide to do with the tank.

Thanks for the ideas, I thoroughly enjoy all my fish , not sure I'm up for a challenge though ;) toying with the idea of a betta now, they are just in pint pots at the lfs.... So he would be happier with me I'm sure... Anyway I'm not doing anything yet until my test kit arrives so I know I'm good to go,

I had to laugh today , I used my ammonia up over the weekend (from my first set up) I brought it from the uk, so I went to the lfs and asked for some , "no we don't sell it it's not good for the fish , here buy this denitrol at 22 euros its the same " :bang head against wall:

So today my api master test kit arrives , I test all my tanks and they are all perfect water parameters , except the newest one the nitrate is 80ppm but that's empty still cycling, has been fish less cycling for the last 3weeks nearly.. So what's good to bring the nitrate down ? Should I do a 50% water change ? Also numpty here drops one of the test tubes :( on the tiled floor :crash: can you buy replacements ?

Only thing to bring nitrate down is water change. 50% brings it down to 40ppm.... Another 50% brings it down to 20ppm( acceptable for fish) and another 50% brings it down to 10ppm which is nice and healthy for fish. When my tanks hit 20ppm or so that's usually when I do a 50% water change. If you do large water changes don't forget to add ammonia if your still fishless cycling. Since there's no fish yet you can let it go and do a couple large (80-90%) water changes just before you add fish.

Only thing to bring nitrate down is water change. 50% brings it down to 40ppm.... Another 50% brings it down to 20ppm( acceptable for fish) and another 50% brings it down to 10ppm which is nice and healthy for fish. When my tanks hit 20ppm or so that's usually when I do a 50% water change. If you do large water changes don't forget to add ammonia if your still fishless cycling. Since there's no fish yet you can let it go and do a couple large (80-90%) water changes just before you add fish.

Thank you :) I will do a 50% change tomorrow and then everyday for the next week :)

More choices, harder to find sometimes

There are a number of options for a 6.6G/25L tank!

Any kind of dwarf shrimp colony could have 30-50!

I presently have Sundanio Axlerod 'blue neon', (aka Rasbora Axlerodi) there is a neon green and some reddish and orange ones too. They stay very small.

Boraras Brigittae 'Chilis' and several other varieties of this "micro/nano" fish

With a smallish colony of Fire Red Dwarf Cherry shrimp.

Pic is current, just not very good quality!

60074-albums9764-picture59829.jpg

Here is the best shot I could get of the Sundanio, they are pretty fast movers.
60074-albums9764-picture59827.jpg

60074-albums9764-picture37596.jpg

I think the Sundanios maybe eating my newly hatched shrimplets, since I put them in i haven't had any more newborns :(

There didn't seem to be a problem with the Chilis. They stay middle to top of the tank, but the Sundanios go all over. Haven't seen them eat anything, but there were tons and now not! :eek:

There is a baby blue Mystery snail too, but hes bigger now so probably moving to a bigger tank.

The Scarlet Badis would be good with the fish and also maybe adult shrimp, though I understand they hunt small crustaceans.

These are all great fish in the little tank!

Here is a CPO (Cambarellus patzcuarensis, Orange)

When I raised a batch in there
60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg

Or shrimp only.

Cherry / Neocaridina type are best first shrimp imho.

Here is an orange, my first shrimp!

60074-albums9764-picture36790.jpg

Sparkling Gouramis would work

Ooo I just googled them they are very pretty fish and don't grow very big:) I might have to see what my local fish store has, they have very little :( roughly how many could you put together what ratio etc , I might get them in my 80 litre once all the babies have gone to new homes ...
We're very limited here basically about 5different varieties of goldies and then live bearers and a few tetras ... There's a good choice of saltwater fish,but not much freshwater :(

There are a number of options for a 6.6G/25L tank!

Any kind of dwarf shrimp colony could have 30-50!

I presently have Sundanio Axlerod 'blue neon', (aka Rasbora Axlerodi) there is a neon green and some reddish and orange ones too. They stay very small.

Boraras Brigittae 'Chilis' and several other varieties of this "micro/nano" fish

With a smallish colony of Fire Red Dwarf Cherry shrimp.

Pic is current, just not very good quality!

Here is the best shot I could get of the Sundanio, they are pretty fast movers.

I think the Sundanios maybe eating my newly hatched shrimplets, since I put them in i haven't had any more newborns :(

There didn't seem to be a problem with the Chilis. They stay middle to top of the tank, but the Sundanios go all over. Haven't seen them eat anything, but there were tons and now not! :eek:

There is a baby blue Mystery snail too, but hes bigger now so probably moving to a bigger tank.

The Scarlet Badis would be good with the fish and also maybe adult shrimp, though I understand they hunt small crustaceans.

These are all great fish in the little tank!

Here is a CPO (Cambarellus patzcuarensis, Orange)

When I raised a batch in there

Or shrimp only.

Cherry / Neocaridina type are best first shrimp imho.

Here is an orange, my first shrimp!

I wish I had so much choice .... Unfortunately Tenerife has very limited fish stock :( next time I go ill try to sneak some photos it will give you a laugh if nothing else ;)

I wish I had so much choice .... Unfortunately Tenerife has very limited fish stock :( next time I go ill try to sneak some photos it will give you a laugh if nothing else ;)

Maybe check into ordering online, I had heard there is a pretty amazing store based out the somewhere, and they ship, lol!

I have 2- 6 gallon tanks and am now running a 55g nano fish tank. For nano fish the Chili Rasboras, Ember Tetras, Clown Killifish, Scarlet Badis, Blue Neon Gobies are all good choices. Then Dwarf or Pygmy Cory cats or my favorite which I have are Aspidoras albater's. All can be kept with small shrimp although some will eat very tiny shrimplets if there isn't enough plant/moss cover. I also forgot Endler's.

I have 2- 6 gallon tanks and am now running a 55g nano fish tank. For nano fish the Chili Rasboras, Ember Tetras, Clown Killifish, Scarlet Badis, Blue Neon Gobies are all good choices. Then Dwarf or Pygmy Cory cats or my favorite which I have are Aspidoras albater's. All can be kept with small shrimp although some will eat very tiny shrimplets if there isn't enough plant/moss cover. I also forgot Endler's.

Thanks I'm going to write them all down and see what I can find, I've a week of 50% water changes to do to get the nitrates down, but everything else is perfect, once the nitrates are down ill go fish shopping, I might have to print pictures off to see what's what, as they used to have mollies and platys labelled platys ! Until I told them the larger ones are mollies ;) great over here it makes me laugh every time I go in there :)

Thank you for all the helpful info, I've decided it's my hospital tank as I've 2 tetras with white spot ..

Back
Top Bottom