What to do for my Kribensa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mushuporker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I added my fish into this tank roughly a month ago and it's been going really well for me aside from algae on my baby tears. I have one pearl gourami, a rubber nose pleco, five red eye tetras, and two kribs. They were already a pair when I bought them and to be honest I hadn't done my research on their mating habits prior.

Now I'm pretty sure my female is about to lay eggs and I'm not really sure what to do. Should I set up a small 5 gal for just them while they're spawning? I really don't want them to murder all my fish. I came down this morning to find all my tetras hiding behind the filter so I have a feeling they're getting chased by the kribs already.

203jHqJ.jpg

73RWGLM.jpg

I didn't have much of a problem with the kribs spawning in a community tank; yes they guard their kids and feed them but they didn't exactly murder other fishes. To be honest the biggest problem I had was that they were extremely proficient breeders and that means you have to deal with either a lot of little kribs in your tank or fishing them out. Also kribs are not exactly small fishes and i would not breed them in a 5 gallon; maybe a 20 long. I suppose for short period a 15 might work. Yours are quite nice looking.

Thank you! They're my favorite fish in my tank right now. Named them Molly and Arthur :lol: I noticed when I was feeding them yesterday that momma is a lot smaller. So I should have fry within the next few days! No idea what I'm going to do with all of them when they're bigger but I'll figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom