what to do with my lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am saving up to replace my lighting. I have a cf lighting from cataliaaquarium.com that is a 60 inch fixture with 2 65 watt 10000k bulbs in it. my options is I can spend 100 $ and get a retro fit kit with 2 96 watt bulbs cf , or I can spend about 200 and get a t5ho 2 x 80 watt new fixture, form catalinaaquarium.com . My question is which would be better for the amount i will be spending. Just so you know my fixture is only about 2 years old and is in really good.

Thanks

If you're wanting more light (sounds like you are) I'd go with the T5HOs. I much prefer them over CF. They run cooler, more efficient, and penetrate deeper into the water than CF. At least that's been my experience. I don't think I'll ever go back to CF honestly.

Thanks Neilan with the T5HOs i still would be low enough on light levels that i would not have to have co2 for my tank right, I just want my plants to grow better and maybe be able to grow a few md light plants.

It'd be pushing it.... T5HO penetrates very well, so the usual WPG rule doesn't directly correlate. I would think you'd still be ok, though, but definately keep a close eye out and reduce the photoperiod if you start to see algae issues.

the tank is 60 inch? personally i would think about just getting a 4x54w fixture that is if you want the extra light. $140 from fish needed it they should be in on the 27th.
4Ft/4Bulbs fixture

the tank is 60 inch? personally i would think about just getting a 4x54w fixture that is if you want the extra light. $140 from fish needed it they should be in on the 27th.
4Ft/4Bulbs fixture

That would be a good price but my tank is 60 inchs long and if i am looking at the right fixture on there it is for a 48 inch tank. Thanks though for the sight i had not seen this sight before so i now can do some more comparison shopping.

you can get a 36 and 24 fixture and hook them together as a option. the 48 inch fixture is just a idea we often get in our head we must have a light that goes from end to end but no one said we have to. you can create some great lighting looks with shorter fixtures. maybe not what you are looking for but again just something to think about.

you can get a 36 and 24 fixture and hook them together as a option. the 48 inch fixture is just a idea we often get in our head we must have a light that goes from end to end but no one said we have to. you can create some great lighting looks with shorter fixtures. maybe not what you are looking for but again just something to think about.
Thanks MG i will keep this in mind it might be cheaper this way.

T5 definitely. if you do the 48" you can lift it up on legs or hang it and the light will spread nicely.

Back
Top Bottom