What to do with this uneven rimless stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm more or less at my wits end with this stand situation. I bought a fluval flex 15g rimless tank and needed a suitable stand. I set out to build one and I've run into an issue, the plywood for the top(which is 3/4 inch thick) has a bit of a bow in the center. I really don't have the equipment or time to attempt to sand it down to be perflectly flat. I've built stands before with no issues, but never for a rimless tank. The tank came with a 3-4mm thick black foam that is fairly squishy
What should I do? The gap from the plywood appears to be around 1-2mm, it's hard to tell quite exactly
Would I be better off chucking some MDF on top of the plywood since MDF is about as flat as it gets?

Would high density(pink) foam solve this? However people say its too rigid for rimless

Should I just burn the tank and the stand and walk into a busy street?

Note: The plywood top has not yet been glued/screwed to the stand

Attachments

• stand1.jpg
    stand1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 58
  • stand2.jpg
    stand2.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 55
Keep the tank and stay out of busy streets!!!

:devilish: Don't you just hate this sort of thing?

Personally I would sand it a little if you could (take it to someones house and use their sander or a nice rubber sanding block), or just try and pick a less bowed piece of would this next time.

Are you meaning add MDF board on top of this board already on it?? Or replace the top board?

Congrats for having the wherewithal to build a stand in the first place!

Keep the tank and stay out of busy streets!!!

:devilish: Don't you just hate this sort of thing?

Personally I would sand it a little if you could (take it to someones house and use their sander or a nice rubber sanding block), or just try and pick a less bowed piece of would this next time.

Are you meaning add MDF board on top of this board already on it?? Or replace the top board?

Congrats for having the wherewithal to build a stand in the first place!
Unfortunately this was the absolute best piece of wood I could find. The humidity here warps everything. Im considering at this point maybe using an epoxy liquid compound to put a small layer on top of the plywood to create a perfectly even surface, before this I will likely try flattening the wood using water and heat.

Hello, if all your looking for is something to support center I would use joint compound. The stuff they use to fix dry wall. Comes on little tubs & easy to sand. You could use some type of straight edge to level out. Hope this helps!!!!!
I'm more or less at my wits end with this stand situation. I bought a fluval flex 15g rimless tank and needed a suitable stand. I set out to build one and I've run into an issue, the plywood for the top(which is 3/4 inch thick) has a bit of a bow in the center. I really don't have the equipment or time to attempt to sand it down to be perflectly flat. I've built stands before with no issues, but never for a rimless tank. The tank came with a 3-4mm thick black foam that is fairly squishy
What should I do? The gap from the plywood appears to be around 1-2mm, it's hard to tell quite exactly
Would I be better off chucking some MDF on top of the plywood since MDF is about as flat as it gets?

Would high density(pink) foam solve this? However people say its too rigid for rimless

Should I just burn the tank and the stand and walk into a busy street?

Note: The plywood top has not yet been glued/screwed to the stand

You have to seal the wood on both sides or it will continue to deflect. Try painting the bottom first and it should lift, paint the top after it corrects. Additional coats will help. Use a yoga matt under the rimless tank..

Hello, if all your looking for is something to support center I would use joint compound. The stuff they use to fix dry wall. Comes on little tubs & easy to sand. You could use some type of straight edge to level out. Hope this helps!!!!!

Hmmm that gives me the idea to try this, which appears to be more of a specialty made product that is similar https://www.homehardware.ca/en/378l-floor-leveler/p/1627760

I would advise against getting a stand made entirely of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). MDF absorbs water easily, which makes it undesirable for use as an aquarium stand.

Back
Top Bottom