what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropical-fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
this is the situation. i was on my way to having a nice 65 gal community tank, i had 4 gold gouramis, 10 zebra danios (now 6), 3 swordtails (now 2), and 1 common plec. a few months ago my father in-law bought my 6 year old son 2 small senegal bichirs (we had no idea what they were at the time). initially all was well but now the bichirs are getting bigger and have developed a taste for danio and swordtail. after reading a bit i now know that the bichirs will probably eat all my fish and may even out-grow the tank.

the question is. do i explain to my son that his fish will eat all the others and return the bichirs to the shop, or keep the bichirs and forget about the community tank? i'm also a bit worried that when the bichirs get older they will get lazy and hide in the plants all day, making it look like the tank is empty.

i'd like to hear your views on this.

thanks

I would get rid of the birchirs. Unfortunately, a 6 year old might be quite fascinated by the idea of seeing the other fish get eaten. Just tell him that your tank is not a proper home for them and it's best if they find a better place to live.
You could replace them with dojo loach, similar looking but peaceful.

Bichirs will get way to big for that tank. I would explain the circle of life to the boy and ditch the bichirs. Or get a 100g or larger tank and move the bichirs.

Oh wow ... first I'd thank your Father-in-law for the great community addition to your tank.:brows: Of course the community will be inside the birchirs ...:facepalm:

Ditch em or get a 100gal tank ... then worry about what fish to feed them later:eek: I vote for ditching em ... and salvage your community tank(y)

thanks for your replies. yeah, looks like the bichirs will have to go. i'll bring them to the lfs at the weekend. i'll show my son some photos of community fish and ask him which he likes. better not to bring him to the lfs, he might want turtles or something.

thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom