What to put in compartments of a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
i know how sumps are divided but what do you put into each compartment or stage? Im thinking on building one for my 30 gallon

Here's my sump. I only have 1 set of baffles seperating the 1st section. The rest is divided with egg crate.
From right to left....
Skimmer, GFO reactor, tank drain line in 1st section
Macro algae (chaeto) and live rock rubble in 2nd section
Frags in 3rd section
Return pump in 4th
ato3_5-09.jpg

Larry's sump is a little larger than what you need. Generally the skimmer goes into the drain area, then the bafles, the the return section. If possible you can put the heater(s) in the return section or drain section to hide them.

I have a 40 gallon long and have three sections. The first is the refugium. The second is bioballs soon to be LR and the third is my equipment/return section.

well i dont want bioballs i have heard they are nitrite factorys. would it be ok to have it the drain line run through filterfloss, then the second section would be sand with eggcrate and LR on top then go through the three close panes that are close then go to the heater and return pump? also do all the panes need to be the same height?

Back
Top Bottom