What type of worm is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NONO-AMJ79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings,
I recently changed tanks from a 55g to a 60g. I used the same sand and as I was scooping it out I noticed this guy. He is about 2 inches long when he stretches. I don't know how long it's been in my tank because I never see it. I've had my tank running for about 1 year and 5 months. I did add some more live rock back in June. Tank mates are: 1 yellow tang, 1 six line wrasse, 1 Pajama Cardinal, 1 engineer goby, and a tri-colored anemone. Is the worm dangerous or should I let him be? Thanks.20170707_191951.jpg20170707_191924.jpg

It looks like a bristle worm to me, pretty sure most consider them a pest. No clue what specific type of bristle worm, though!

Thanks, that's a relief cause I had put him back in the tank.

They have irritating /stinging bristles, so don't pick them up with your fingers or bump into them. I steer clear as possible like use gloves and try not to pick up rocks and move them around unless I am using gloves.

If you do bump into one, it starts to really itch, those little time fibers get stuck in your skin like catus spines. I accidentally grab one.

Anyway, if you do get spines then get some tape and tweets and a good light, cause the hair is so fine you can barely see it. Your gonna want to cut the tape and lay it tightly over the area before ripping it off. Do this a couple of times and you should remove the majority of the hairs, the stragglers is where the tweets come in

If you do bump into one, it starts to really itch, those little time fibers get stuck in your skin like catus spines. I accidentally grab one.

Anyway, if you do get spines then get some tape and tweets and a good light, cause the hair is so fine you can barely see it. Your gonna want to cut the tape and lay it tightly over the area before ripping it off. Do this a couple of times and you should remove the majority of the hairs, the stragglers is where the tweets come in
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in case it gets me.

Back
Top Bottom