What would you do? (algea)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimaT

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay guys i need some help. :nono:
i have algea growing everywhere.

my tank is 2month old.
it has:
very high calcium 460-480...
very high magnesium over 1400
DKH is at 7

i been doing research and some say high magnesium and low DKH cause all kinds of algea blooms...

some say say phosphate is the problem. and even if its undetectable (api test kit) its still a possibility.

and some even say too much lights is the problem. :banghead:

i use RO/DI water.
my salt is: (Kent marine *REEF SALT MIX) is is very high in mag/cal.
have no corals yet and only have 1clown and a cleaner shrimp.
my aquarium is 46gal + a 29gal sump (which holds around 20gal of water)
have a 200gal reef octopus skimmer.
1 radion led light fixtur.
mp10 pump.
live rock, sand.
my nitrates are always 0

where would you start if you had my problem?
and please give details. :thanks:

Got the same tank and use the same salt mix. Good feeding schedule is the biggest thing and a reactor is a great purchase to combat phosphates. More then likely though your just experiencing "new tank syndrome".

First, what kind of algae? Brown, green hair, green bubble, red cyano??? What's your feeding schedule? What's your daily light cycle?

I use the same salt as well, and you're not "very high" on those readings.... you're shooting for 450-480 calcium, 1400+ on your mag ( I run 470 & 1440). What does puzzle me, however, is your 7dKh. I usually run 8.7 on mine. 7 is not bad, but definitely on the very low end.

Are you using API test kits for everything (marine master & reef master kits)?? If so, I would recommend eventually getting yourself much better kits, sooner rather than later. API is great for FW, and getting your SW set up & running, but just not sensitive enough for good reefkeeping. Been there, made that mistake myself.. both API test kits are sitting in the cupboard, and am currently using Red Sea kits.

Back
Top Bottom