What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poolrad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a SW tank that has been running pretty good for 6 years. However there are a lot of things I wouldn't mind changing about it.

First it is CC instead of sand, but of course there is 75 pounds of LR on top of that CC so it wouldn't be easy to exchange.

Second my stand is getting old and starting to crack in places that it shouldn't. I upgraded from an All-Glass aquarium to an Oceanic 3 years ago but used the old stand. I think the thicker glass Oceanic is starting to pay it's toll on the old stand.

So would it be worthwhile for me to break down the tank, take out all the water, the rocks the corals the fish buy a new stand and then rebuild it back up with sand? It sounds like a monsterous event and undertaking...

Anyone done this recently and care to share pointers or even if it is worth it?

Imagine that stand breaking and your floor becoming a kiddy pool. Have the new stand ready and a helper. It would not be that hard of a job. At least not compared to cleaning up your floor and then doing it.

I would get a new stand. Get a big enough tank or brand new container and put the lr and most of the water in. Then dump away your cc if you really want sand. Clean the tank and start adding in the lr and water. Rinse the new sand well. Sand should go in last IMO.

I would do the same thing..replace stand and CC. Buy some 25 gallon storage bins from your Home Depot and put your corals & fish in one, LR in another. Doing this will be one of those days that you call in favors your friends owe you. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom