Whats best for cleaning sand ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westy101

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best thing for cleaning sand would it be gobys or shrimp, snails, and crabs if so what crabs I need a larger size thanks

What crabs are they because they need to be a big size for my fish if not they will just get eaten ?

Sleeper Gobies are nice AKA sifter goby. Orange spot goby. Nassarius snails.

i agree with nassarius, they are know to venture outside the tank though LOL

and sifter gobies are good too, there are plenty of different kinds

I have a sand sifting star great to watch something different and turn the sand over pretty quick

Post a picture, I don't know what kind of job you need done. How much algae could you have? It's more important that you determine the cause of the algae before you worry about cleaning it. If you don't fix the root problem it will just keep popping up. What is in the tank?

To be honest I think its just fish waste it looks more like that to me ?

Yes, but what kind of fish do you have? If there is waste gathering that your sump and skimmer aren't getting then there is a problem. You may have too much bio load, you could be over feeding. What size tank is it, what kind of fish do you have? These are things we have to know to help you.

What is the best thing for cleaning sand would it be gobys or shrimp, snails, and crabs if so what crabs I need a larger size thanks

I would suggest all of the above. My only problem with a sand sifting star is that usually will starve to death because most sand beds will be depleted of fauna necessary to keep the sand sifting star alive. It will happen in a very short period of time.

He has two posts on this and still won't say why crabs won't work, he just keeps saying my fish will eat crabs. But then says he needs to know large crab species. Then he said he doesn't have algae problems, it's waste.
Please post some pics, and details so that people on here can help you. I am not saying that I can, but a lot of guys on here have a lot of experience, like Melosu up there with 12 years in this hobby.

Maybe he needs a dyson lol .....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I have had the same sand sifting star for about two years now i got him at a small size and he has grew a bit bigger not huge maybe its in the type of sand we use i knoe there's not many choice's in that but it's only a sugestion i havent done much research on them myself but they seem to be very slow growing maybe different species pf this type of star can survive longer in shallow sand beds like mine is about 2.5 maybe 3 inches deep .......

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom