whats going on with my plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frank98284

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have a 75gal tall coralife 36wx2 6700 on 8hrs a day I use root tabs and dose flourish comprehensive once a week my plants have black spots and some have holes in the leaves my substrate is sand and eco complete and a little bit of gravel.

7.2 ph
0 Amo
0 NIT
15 NITRA

Thank You,
Frank

Attachments

• IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2482.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hi I have a 75gal tall coralife 36wx2 6700 on 8hrs a day I use root tabs and dose flourish comprehensive once a week my plants have black spots and some have holes in the leaves my substrate is sand and eco complete and a little bit of gravel.

7.2 ph
0 Amo
0 NIT
15 NITRA

Thank You,
Frank

It's a nutrient deficiency. I'd suggest using better ferts. The EI method and PPS-Pro are both good.

Small pin holes in plants are potassium deficiency. On the swords are you adding root tabs often enough? What plants do you have in the tank besides swords?

Swords are really heavy root feeders and you may need to add root tabs even sooner. Or perhaps try another brand. If you only have swords and no other plants then just using the Flouish Comprehensive is enough IMO.

I am using osmocote I know there is mixed opinions about osmocote but I have never had issues with ammonia spikes. I had other plants other than swords and use flourish I have at least 24inches of water its a 75 tall I have a 4 bulb t5ho but only use two so is light a issue ??
Do I need excel ??

Last edited:
How tall is the tank? If you only have swords IMO you really don't need all 4 bulbs. Using a liquid carbon never hurts. I use it even in low light tanks. BUT with a 75g tank you'd need to buy Metricide 14 Day Solution. A gallon costs around $27 shipped but check around for the best price and shipping as some places try to charge $40 a gallon. Once you get it you throw away the activator bottle that comes with it, then you mix it at a 1:1 ratio with RO or Distilled water. I kept old Excel and Liquid Fert bottles, rinsed well, as I can mix a small amount up at a time. It has to be in an opaque, totally light blocking bottle or it will break down quickly in light and be rendered useless. You'd use 1ml of Glut (Metricide) for every 5 gallons of tank water.

I'd check out Ebay if you're in search of the Metricide 14. I grabbed a bottle on there for 20 bucks, free shipping.

This might sound odd, but can you get a good shot of that light colored rock in the second picture? It looks in that picture like you might have a raging case of GSA which suggests a phosphate deficiency. The holes in the leaf look to large to be potassium, which suggests phosphate to me as well.

This might sound odd, but can you get a good shot of that light colored rock in the second picture? It looks in that picture like you might have a raging case of GSA which suggests a phosphate deficiency. The holes in the leaf look to large to be potassium, which suggests phosphate to me as well.

The rock is a plastic cave and the holes in the one sword is pea size I will try to get a good picture

Attachments

• IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom