Whats more important for bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
So after reading basically all day trying to figure out what im going to do for my 75 gallon low tech tank i got the idea of just doing cheap shop lights.

My question is what is more important, the bulb being "Full spectrum", "Kelvin" rating or "lumens".

Im only looking to grow mosses, anubias, swords, java fern, crypts and things of that nature really.

After looking at my local hardware store i have 2 options if i go that route. T12 fixture or T8 fixture. At the price of replacing a bulb every 6-9 months im looking for the cheapest option here. For the T12 here are the options i have found. the thing thats really tripping me up is that they are all different Kelvin and lumens, one says "Plant" on it but is like $10 a pop vs the others that are 6-10 per 2 pack. Im really in need of some help here. I know its a lot to look at and im really sorry but im extremely out of my depth here.

Philips 4 ft. T12 40-Watt Plant and Aquarium Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb-392282 - The Home Depot

Philips 4 ft. T12 40-Watt Neutral Deluxe ALTO Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (2-Pack)-422741 - The Home Depot

Philips 4 ft. T12 40-Watt Soft White Deluxe ALTO Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (2-Pack)-422766 - The Home Depot

Philips 4 ft. T12 40-Watt Natural Supreme Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (2-Pack)-423979 - The Home Depot

Philips 4 ft. T12 40-Watt Daylight Deluxe Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (2-Pack)-226837 - The Home Depot

Here is where im at also looking at the T8 bulbs/fixtures. Again all have different lumen and kelvin ratings as well as one saying plant

4 ft. T8 32-Watt TuffGuard Cool White (4100K) ALTO Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb-431980 - The Home Depot

Philips 4 ft. T8 32-Watt Daylight Alto Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (2-Pack)-451823 - The Home Depot

Philips 4 ft. T8 32-Watt Cool White Alto Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (2-Pack)-434548 - The Home Depot

Philips 4 ft. T8 32-Watt Natural Light ALTO Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (2-Pack)-409664 - The Home Depot

Philips 4 ft. T8 32-Watt Soft White Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (2-Pack)-226829 - The Home Depot

Philips 4 ft. T8 32-Watt Plant and Aquarium Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb-429167 - The Home Depot

Again, im sorry i know its a lot to look at but im so far out of my depth its not even fully at this point. Im in desperate need of some help. I really appreciate it.

Have you thought about a cheaper led fixture? It will save you on electricity and you dont have to teplace bulbs.

I prefer to run 6,500K lights normally.
I have one 5,500K and its ok as well.

The Kelvin values tell you if the light might look too red or too blue (cold) to your eyes. Sunlight tends to be 6,500K so that's what I use. Other K values will grow plants but might not look as nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you thought about a cheaper led fixture? It will save you on electricity and you dont have to teplace bulbs.

Yea, i had another post asking which one of a few LEDS listed would be best and people were saying for a 75 none of them would really be any good and i might need 2 for the light to be evenly distributed. No way im buying 2 of them lol.

Yea, i had another post asking which one of a few LEDS listed would be best and people were saying for a 75 none of them would really be any good and i might need 2 for the light to be evenly distributed. No way im buying 2 of them lol.

I found a thread I posted not too long ago about a 75g with a 48" Finnex 24/7: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343516 I'm thinking one should be fine for the plants you have listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i would love that but thats pretty far out of the range im willing to spend, really no more then $100 preferably around $50 lol. I know you get what you pay for but im not looking for anything fancy or even particularly nice looking. Just needs to be able to grow some low light plants.

i would love that but thats pretty far out of the range im willing to spend, really no more then $100 preferably around $50 lol. I know you get what you pay for but im not looking for anything fancy or even particularly nice looking. Just needs to be able to grow some low light plants.

Go for the T8s then.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom