What's on my driftwood??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
There's some little orange/brown round things on my driftwood. Anyone know what it is?? It wasn't there before!

phatpaul said:
They sort off look like eggs

But from what? I have 5 ghost shrimp and 2 rummy nose tetras and a nerite snail. The snail has been on a different piece of DW eating algae for a couple of days. I have a pregnant shrimp- I can see the eggs in her stomach.

Lol i dont think it would be the shrimp. Maybe your snail but im quite sure snails eggs dont look like that but iv never had nerite, im sure someone else will chime in who's had nerite eggs before.

Nerite snails maybe but they only survive in brackish water, I'll try to google a pic

Ya I googled nerite snail eggs and those look quite similar. If your tank isn't brackish they won't hatch from what ive read and been told by my lfs guy I deal with

Chronos313 said:
Ya I googled nerite snail eggs and those look quite similar. If your tank isn't brackish they won't hatch from what ive read and been told by my lfs guy I deal with

My snail gets around more than I thought she did. Cool that I know she's a girl now! Maybe I'll call her Zoe the zebra nerite snail.

Bearchumjs said:
My snail gets around more than I thought she did. Cool that I know she's a girl now! Maybe I'll call her Zoe the zebra nerite snail.

Lol at zoe the zebra nerite snail. Its good you got the bottom of the problem

phatpaul said:
Lol at zoe the zebra nerite snail. Its good you got the bottom of the problem

Yes, thank you. I wasn't sure what was growing on the DW. I guess the fish and shrimp will eat the eggs?

I have a log of mopani driftwood.... got it last week and it has been soaking 24/7 to get the dyes out and i see those on mine too. They are not eggs, im pretty sure cause mine is outside soaking in a bucket

Ralphie126 said:
I have a log of mopani driftwood.... got it last week and it has been soaking 24/7 to get the dyes out and i see those on mine too. They are not eggs, im pretty sure cause mine is outside soaking in a bucket

Well I don't know what they are then. It's mopani DW and I boiled it until the tannins were clear. It took a few hours.

Ralphie126 said:

I was reading and found an article that said they were maybe otocinclus eggs. I don't know. I'll just wait and see what happens I guess. It's science!

Bearchumjs said:
I was reading and found an article that said they were maybe otocinclus eggs. I don't know. I'll just wait and see what happens I guess. It's science!

Ps- I don't own oto's. So this is truly a mystery.

My mopani was on a shelf when i bought it, then i brought it home and soaked it and everyone says from re search they are nerite eggs but how if it was never in a tank with them????

Ralphie126 said:
My mopani was on a shelf when i bought it, then i brought it home and soaked it and everyone says from re search they are nerite eggs but how if it was never in a tank with them????

It's a mystery! I guess we'll see what happens.

So funny that I got you're thread when trying to determine the same thing. There are little whitish dots all over my driftwood. They look like eggs but I couldn't figure out whose, especially since I only have glowlight tetras and nerite snails right now. So, was it just snail eggs? Do they just get eaten or fall off?

Back
Top Bottom