Whats the best way to clean the sand un my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clownfish69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon aquarium. Fish include: coral beauty, red chromis, yellow coris wrasse, yellowtail damsel and a volitin lionfish. I have a few hermit crabs and that's it. In some spots of the tank the sand is covered in a thick layer if algae. What's the best way to clean or soft the sand to make it a nice white color?

I hover over the same , only in the places that I can reach .
It won't suck up the algae but it will stir it up .
I am looking into moving a power hear a little lower in the tank

I hover over the same , only in the places that I can reach .
It won't suck up the algae but it will stir it up .
I am looking into moving a power hear a little lower in the tank

What's hovering? Sorry if i sound stupid, somewhat new.

You can buy a substrate cleaner. It just looks like a clear tube with erm...clear tubing basically... You use like a Hoover (vacuum cleaner for the non-Brits) it sucks up the algae and dumps your sand back down.

Here's a link:
Easy Clean Gravel Cleaner

It's not a magic wand, but I think it does a decent job. :)

increase flow, preferably with a wave or random flow effect. may want to consider rehoming the volitan. for a fish that gets 12"+ in length and prob 7"+ wide, its hard for them to live happily in a 12 inch wide tank.

increase flow, preferably with a wave or random flow effect. may want to consider rehoming the volitan. for a fish that gets 12"+ in length and prob 7"+ wide, its hard for them to live happily in a 12 inch wide tank.

That's what I'm currently trying to do. I'd love to keep him he's a beautiful fish but every fish/pet store I call never gives me a valid answer or just says to call back later.

I'm trying to get him a new home at the moment. Every pet store I call says to call back on another day. It's very frustrating. But thanks for the help!

You can buy a substrate cleaner. It just looks like a clear tube with erm...clear tubing basically... You use like a Hoover (vacuum cleaner for the non-Brits) it sucks up the algae and dumps your sand back down.

Here's a link:
Easy Clean Gravel Cleaner

It's not a magic wand, but I think it does a decent job. :)

Thank you very much!

oh I completely understand. how big is he? volitans are a huge problem and that's prob why no LFS will take him.

oh I completely understand. how big is he? volitans are a huge problem and that's prob why no LFS will take him.

He's close to 6 inches now. I got him when he was like 2 and a half never thought he'd grow so fast!

I don't disturb the sand bed. I leave that to the clean up crew. Been that way for 15+ yrs now.

I'm a newbie too. Good to know I shouldn't need to clean the sand. Might persuade the other half to pick up some cerith snails, I hear they clean the sand.

What do they actually do when they're burrowing? I have three of these and barely ever see them...

Attachments

• image-443921115.jpg
    image-443921115.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom