what's the best...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loki azrial

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
filter for a 65 gallon tank? its got 2 golden comets 1 sarasa comet and 1 shubunkin in it, i know the tanks to small for them and i will be moving them into a larger tank when possible, i also need to find someone with a pond for my 2 golden comets soon (will be really sad seeing them go though) once the fish are moved the 65 gallon will then become home to a gourami a pleco 6 neons and a guppy, i know that the filter will need to do double because its gold fish and they are messy buggers lol

loki xxx

Well there will be a lot of opinions on this topic. So this is my opinion on why you should look at a canister filter. I found the filstar Rena xP3 to be my best friend. I actually have 2 of these running my 60g. The reason I prefer these units is because of quality. I have a 40g running a fluval 406, and I absolutely hate that unit. The fluval "locking" nuts for the hoses are hard as ever to work with and can easily leak (personal experience). The good thing about the Rena is it's versatility. I can fit a ton more media in the Rena! For example, between the both I have mechanical pads, fluval bio, Rena stars, and 50 pot scrubbers. I chose not to do chemical because of my plants. They say they will do up to 175g tank at 350gph, however with all filters, we can expect about 65% of that to be true! You can also consider the xP4 for a 400gph unit. Mine ran me 140 a unit at my lfs. The xP4 was 170. They are quite as ever and ascetically pleasing IMO.

Dear Loki Azrial,

There are many good filters. Goldfish/Comets require 10 X gallon or in your case 650 gallons per hour. So this usually means more than one filter. Most Goldie people use a combination of HOB and canisters--surface agitation is good for goldies. AquaClear HOB filters enable one to customize the media, are reasonably priced and sturdy. With regard to canisters, read reviews. I have had a Fluval 405/4's and had many problems with them. Others recommend them highly. I and presently using 2 Cascade 1000's by Penn Plax and they work well for me... I know you have some other manufacturer's in the UK but check out what's available on amazon.uk they usually have good prices.

Good luck,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom