What's wrong with my Bleeding heart's eye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Bleeding hearts are living in my mature 50 gallon aquarium.

During today, my smallest (although not much smaller) male has sustained an eye problem. I am currently unsure as to whether it is an illness or an injury. Lately the males have been getting pretty rough with each other (Fighting over females etc I guess) so I wonder if this could be the cause?

I cannot test my water as my kit is inaccurate, so I will get to my LFS asap to test it.

I have attached some pics, does anyone have any idea what it could be?

It almost appears to be punctured, but I could be wrong!

Attachments

• S1050001.jpg
    S1050001.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 78
  • S1050002.jpg
    S1050002.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 72
Forgot to mention - All other fish are fine and healthy. This injured/ill fish is eating normally (In other words a lot!)

If the eye is bulging, it is likely due to mechanical damage (from roughhousing) or an infection from a wound on or near the eye. A mild antiseptic like Melafix might do the job of returning it to normal, but if the fish's eye has clouded like that as a result it's possible that even once the underlying issue is resolved it won't return entirely to normal. It may be that the fish has been blinded in that eye by injury or infection.

Back
Top Bottom