whats wrong with this anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
100_0644.jpg

brand new plant, appears that it doesnt appreciate my aquarium conditions

How long has it been in your aquarium? If it's been less than two weeks the deficiencies that it's displaying are a result of the conditions prior to being introduced to your aquarium.

the purplish ones are hygrophila komakt. i think if i let it gow out of the water it will grow purple flowers.

the anubias has only been in the tank since tuesday. and i think that i got the plant from a brand new shipment that they were unloading when i got there. but the plant looked great when i planted it. are you sure it's not my tank? if my tank is good enough will it rebound?

Is the rhizome above the substrate? Anubias need to be planted with the rhizome above the substrate, although the roots can be completely buried. What type of Anubias is it, as it doesn't look like any variety I am familiar with.

Is it an iron deficiency? Sorry but I don't know exactly. I just wanted to add that you will most likely be having some issues with your hygrophila since the leaves will die off and be replaced with submerged leaves. The plant might not make it unless you have adequate lighting and sufficient nutrients.

they are grown emersed so sinking it right away can cause it to rot or turn yellow until it gets use to being under water.

As long as your aquarium is providing good conditions it should rebound. Just give it some time.

no the rhizome isn't buried and it's a Anubias barteri v angustifolia

there are now holes rotting through them. will the leaves repair themselves? should i just cut those leaves out?

Any significantly damaged leaves should be removed as they won't repair themselves.

I have found when introducing a new plant they have a tendency to "die back". and then will start growing good healthy growth after about 2-3 weeks.

I have found when introducing a new plant they have a tendency to "die back". and then will start growing good healthy growth after about 2-3 weeks.

Ditto. I have seen this with several of the varieties of plants I grow.

The only time I've had any of my anubus turn that quickly is when I've tried soaking them in a clorox solution (to kill of any unwanted hitch-hikers) and I had too strong a solution.

Of course given that there are a bazzilion forms of anubas, it might have something to do with this particular form. But other wise, all the problems others are talking about, I've experienced with other plants, but not anubas. As a specific example about initial die-back, I've seen where this occurs with plants that are sensitive to light levels and the sudden change is light levels cause the die-back until new leaves form and grow adjusted to the new light source. But anubas are low light plants (bright light just makes them grow faster as I understand it), so I wouldn't expect such a die-back... unless perhaps you have BRIGHT light that is too much for the anuba. But even if that was the cause, I would think it would take over a week for you to notice any such thing.

Back
Top Bottom