When can i release my baby mollies into main tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,
I was just wonderin when i could release my baby mollies into the main tank? Thhe main tank is just a 10g withh 2 adult mollies and a few cories. I put 13 baby mollies in the tank yesterday and they are all still there. They are 1 week and 4 days old and are healthy but they are getting bigger and need more room than their 1g tank and a few that are in the net breeder. I feed all my adult fish very well about 3 times a day and the fry are fed about 5 times a day. So when can my babies be released into the main tank? thanks. Oh and does anyone know how fast they grow?

You need to wait a while still. 1 week 4 days is not long at all, I didn't add my fry with other fish for around 4 months, as long as they can't fit in the other fishes mouth I guess. But 11 days is not old at all.

You need to wait a while still. 1 week 4 days is not long at all, I didn't add my fry with other fish for around 4 months, as long as they can't fit in the other fishes mouth I guess. But 11 days is not old at all.
I have a feeling my mollies are growing faster that yours did mine are kept at 78F and have alot in their diet and are fed 5 or so times a day. Thanks though.

Mollies grow at different rates depending on heat, feeding schedules and water quality. Being that yours are as large as they are, which does seem big for the age that they are, they are too large to fit in the mouth of most adult mollies IMO.

I have not had any molly fry grow at the rate of 1/2" in less than 2 weeks.

Quick Question for Zagz and othher mollie keepers. In your past experience how many mollies does your female give to per brood on average? Thanks. So far my female has an average (only bred once) of 65 fry at a time.

I'm not sure how big
My fry are but they are about 1-2 months old I have pictures and I'm dieing to add them to the main tank I'm not sure if my Molly only popped out 2 or more babies but I only found two and the reason I found one was cause I moved a plant during my vacuuming and he swam out I netted the little guy and placed him in a breeding net and then my wife found the other one couldn't find any more but the second one was found the day after the first one he swam to the net and my wife thought it got loose so yay for two sadly the others didn't make it if there was any ill send a picture of the two... Community tank has 1 angel 1 tricolor shark 2 sword tails 4 balloon mollies 2 dolmation mollies 1 pineapple platty ( I think it's a platty) 2 kuhli loaches 1 (new) Pleco cat I feel like the fry may be small enough for the shark to eat
Tank is 55gal

Last edited:
i donno about ur aria but here where i am they will give you $0.00, then they have the nerve to say things like "sigh, yeah sure we will take em i guess, what are u gonna do with other batches though.."

Back
Top Bottom