When dosing ferts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read that carbon absorbs medication from water. My question is: does carbon absorb ferts(excel, seachem flourish,etc)? Thanks.

I think that it does. Most folks don't run carbon unless there's a specific need for it, and then it's only for a short period of time.

neilanh said:
I think that it does. Most folks don't run carbon unless there's a specific need for it, and then it's only for a short period of time.

Filters like marineland 350 has filters with carbon. That's what I have now. So do I have to buy a new one? Doesn't all filters have carbon?

They do, but unless the actual filter material is completely beat and torn up, there's no need to replace it. The carbon in those isn't very much anyway, so it won't consume much and when it's full, it's full.

Rinse it during your maintenance cycle (be sure to only rinse it in either old PWC water, or dechlorinated water to not kill the bacteria) to get the debris out of it, then reuse. Manufacturers state to change it every month, but, well, they just want you money. I almost never replace filters.

Back
Top Bottom