When to test for nitrate/nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandc805

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i have started my cycle, Today is Tuesday and it was started on Sunday. I added live sand my artificial reef insert and water on Sunday and let the sand settle overnight. I added salt monday afternoon and I know I'm supposed to wait 24 hours but I did a quick pH test with my refractometer this morning before I left to work and it tested at 1.025 I will test after work and go from there. I will add some live rock tommorrow so my question is, when should I start testing for Nitrate/Nitrite and ammonium?

you'll need an ammonia source. drop a live shrimp in the tank(after you add all your rock). In a net or something the like would be preferred to help with cleanup. It will start to decompose & create some ammonia which will start your cycle. If you just let it sit your bacteria on your live rock will just die off from no ammonia to feed it.

A good way that I've found to do it is to feed the tank as you would the fish you want to put in it. By feeding every day there is a constant source of food for the bacteria instead of just a single feeding. This will allow both types of bacteria (ammonia->nitrite and nitrite->nitrate) to grow continuously and not die off once their food has stopped.

Back
Top Bottom