When will dry sand become live in an established bare bottom tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is 11 months old and it is a biocube 29 bare bottom with at least 30 pounds of live rock. Last night I added some Dry Caribea Aragonite sand (I need to add more today). My question is how long will it take for it to become live? And how long can I wait to buy a sea star and other sand loving creatures?

First off your sandbed will probably never have enough life to support a sand sifting star. Nassarius snails however love a nice sandbed. It usually takes a couple months to become live IMO.

Can take months like dry rocks.

I added dead rocks to my setup, and after 1 month, they're starting to brownish a little, diatoms growing on them... It takes time.

First off your sandbed will probably never have enough life to support a sand sifting star. Nassarius snails however love a nice sandbed. It usually takes a couple months to become live IMO.

Why couldn't it support a sand sifting star? too small of a tank? What other stars can it support?

The LFS said 3 weeks for it to become live. hard to believe.

Why couldn't it support a sand sifting star? too small of a tank? What other stars can it support?

The LFS said 3 weeks for it to become live. hard to believe.

Sand sifters feed on all the micro fauna in a sandbed. Once it becomes "live" with micro fauna the sand sifter will slowly make it "dead" again. Once this happens it will have no food and waste away.

Sand sifters feed on all the micro fauna in a sandbed. Once it becomes "live" with micro fauna the sand sifter will slowly make it "dead" again. Once this happens it will have no food and waste away.

So in a large tank the micro fauna will keep multiplying? what is the minimum tank size for a sand sifter? are there any sea stars that aren't sand sifters?

Back
Top Bottom