Where to get shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ptray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm finishing the cycle on my 16g planted shrimp tank. Wanting to know where you guys get your shrimp so that I can not spend an arm and a leg but also get good stock. Any help would be appreciated!

I ordered my red cherries from someone here. Planted tank usually has a bunch of people selling.

Shrimp do better in mature tanks. Were you planning other fish too? If you were add the fish first and wait a couple months. If you weren't see if a friend has a fish you can borrow- or if you have another tank borrow a fish or two for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I buy the little feeder fish to JumpStart the cycle. I also take the media from my 250g tank so it will be a maturish tank in about a week from now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed with angela. You may get mixed results with a newer tank. Start with rcs as they're a hardy shrimp. A cycled tank after 1-2 months the shrimp should survive. A 6mos tank well maintained is best to have shrimp thrive.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ShrimpUSA.com -- Mr. Bauer. He got me started on almost all my shrimp and his prices are pretty fair compared to other places. Check out Aquabid as well. There are a lot of great sellers on there and usually are very helpful. You can look at the reviews of each seller as well. There are plenty of people on here that sell as well. Cherry shrimp and other Neocaridina are the easiest to care for as they can live in a wide range of water parameters. If this is your first time keeping shrimp I would suggest keeping neos. There are a ton of color variations to choose from and most of them are fairly hardy.

ShrimpUSA.com -- Mr. Bauer. He got me started on almost all my shrimp and his prices are pretty fair compared to other places. Check out Aquabid as well. There are a lot of great sellers on there and usually are very helpful. You can look at the reviews of each seller as well. There are plenty of people on here that sell as well. Cherry shrimp and other Neocaridina are the easiest to care for as they can live in a wide range of water parameters. If this is your first time keeping shrimp I would suggest keeping neos. There are a ton of color variations to choose from and most of them are fairly hardy.

This was a great reference! I checked last night after finding RCS at my LFS for 3 for $11. On ShrimpUSA.com they are $1 each!!! Much better. There is a minimum sale of 20 or 10 if you are getting other things. Still excellent deal.

~ Sent with the velocity of a European laden swallow

Shrimpusa, CFL Aquatics, Bob's Tropicals, even eBay. I found my colonies did better when stocked from various sources.

Shrimpusa, CFL Aquatics, Bob's Tropicals, even eBay. I found my colonies did better when stocked from various sources.

Same here. But I dont really Bobs Tropical probobaly the worst experience. Only 1 out of 10 shrimp came Alive and he never answered any of my questions :(. Aquatic Arts EBay, SoShrimp, and Aquabid are the way to go! I wish my colony would grow so I could start selling to you guys!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A major issue I have with a few of the online sites is lack of communication. I ended up cancelling two good-sized orders from Bob's because of it.

I ordered some red rili, carbon rili, and pumpkins from ShrimpUSA. They arrived today, all in the same bag! I've never had that happen when ordering multiple types of shrimp.

OMG. That's super annoying. I can't imagine separating them all out

It definitely was! I ended up putting them all in a large bowl and netted each out individually. Great color and no DOAs but not something I'd like to do again any time soon :nono:

If I ever order multiples like that I will keep that in mind and like write a note for separate bags! I wonder if it was someone new there?

I've heard quite a few negative things with bob's that I am too nervous to try ordering. I've been lucky- my reds I got from someone here and my yellows someone local on Craig's list.

I got mine from the Ebay seller delatorre1977! Good quality red cherry shrimp at a fantastic price. (I got 7 for about $17 inc. shipping) Great and quick seller that keeps you updated whether you want to know or not :) Always sends a follow up email about shipping!
I recommend her stock full heartedly. I think you can send her a message if you're interested or check her eBay for updates because she adds new listings regularly.

Back
Top Bottom