Which algae eating crab should i get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a bit of an algae breakout on my live rock and yes I am reducing feeding now as well as light a little(I have a brain coral so its hard) but i wanted to pick up a small algae eating crab. The obvious choice is an emerald but they seem pretty ugly lol from what ive seen, ive also seen on liveaquaria that electric blue hermits eat algae, so much that if it runs out they need to be supplemented, so im assuming they only eat algae. Also ive heard staghorn hermits do as well, i know about their "uprighting" problem but im fine with that, even if it dies you get a free coral ;p. So what is everyones opion on the best, most peaceful, reef safe algae eater?

id say hermits if you dont like the emerald, hermits dont eat algae, mostly detritus and the like.

staghorn hermits wouldnt be good because im faily sure the coral is a high light coral, so for a BC14 thats not good.

i would just go for more snails, i had a HA outbreak when i first started mine up, i added a few more (like 3-4 to add to my 3-4 making about 7-8 total lol) turbo snails and it was gone in about a week and a half, and theyre still going strong

sorry, i meant wouldnt, i fixed it :)

and turbos are called bulldozers, but thats mostly to rocks that arent very stable, or coral that isnt secured well, even so i've only had one problem with mine, they knocked over my mushroom frag plug because i had just put it in the tank and they were cleaning like they do to every new addition

Back
Top Bottom