which corals????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is a 50gal. It is 20" tall and I have a power compact fixture that has two bulbs. One is a 10k and the other is actinic. Each is 65 watts. What types of corals will I be able to keep.

The most frustrating thing to me about this, is that the tank is 18" wide, which I think is GREAT, one of the reasons I bought this tank, but.......the light towards the front of the tank is still some what bright, but not nearly as intense as it is towrds the middle / back right below the light.

I would like to have zoos. Where should I put them height wise in the tank? Does it matter?

Tips on that as well as what corals I can keep would be great.

Thanks for reading, and the tips!!!!!!

That is pretty much on the low end for almost any coral. You an try some mushrooms and zoos, stay away form anything super-colored. If you want more color, look into the orange cup coral. They do not require light as they are ot photosynthetic. They do, howver, require taget feedings of a meaty food two or three times per week.

I ran my 120 on 4x65 (2wpg) for about 5 months before upgrading to halides. Had perfectly happy frogspawn, candy canes, orange caps, a green cap, sun coral, shrooms, zoos, kenya, xenia... with them. I kept everything up high on a ridge right under the light (top 8 inches of the tank) and everything did realy well.

If you start with aquacultured frags you'll quickly get a feel for what can be kept. Stick to greens, browns, oranges... steer clear of blues, purples, yellows...

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom