which filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquaclear makes nice reliable filters for over 20 years, have one that's 20 odd years old and is still currently running as I'm typing this, never replaced a part and it has a massive space for completely custom media, IMO they are the best HOB the fluval C3 isn't a bad option either my friend has one and it's wicked but no space for extra media but it doesn't seem to need it, she has on a 30 though, she runs a whisper 70 on her 55 which seems pretty sweet, but again limited with extra space, seems like every makers goin the way of sleek looks and ability to get close to a wall

whats media? lol sorry! its probably something everyone but me knows about but ya... i thought we dont have to replace anything. we just put on the filter and thats it...

The media is whatever is in the filter to grow bacteria on. In the case of the AC, it is the sponge insert and the bio rings. Other things such as plastic pot scrubbies can be used and will much the same job, since nitrifying bacteria grows on pretty much every solid surface where it can get enough oxygen and food to survive.

You can also use filter wool which is just pillow fluff lol, it can't have anything added like mildew chemicals has to be pure like hypo-alegenic pillow fill, your filter doesn't need to be replaced every weak like some packages will tell you, when it gets dirty just take some water from your tank and put it in a container put everything that's in your filter in it and squeeze rub shake and scrub it with your hands till all the gunk is out of it then put back
In your filter, this protects the bacteria from any sudden change, they are quite tough it seems though. This will also save tons of money in filters, I used one filter for almost 2 years before it fell apart. It there is any foam just squeezing it in the water will get it clean I find if there in the right order will stay clean, one foam in my aquaclear is 20 odd years old and still looks like it's a month old

Back
Top Bottom