Which heater to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kotenok

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys!!! Next week I have to leave for 3-4 days. I am currently looking for a heater that I can leave turned on and don't worry about overheating the fish tank. Is there something automatic, where you can set a certain temperature and it will keep constantly the required t. which one you can recommend?

Do you currently have a heater in the tank? Almost all aquarium heaters come on and off as the temperature changes. Fluval makes them, marineland, and many others you can buy them at your local fish store. What size tank is it? You will need to know because they come in different wattages.

Do you currently have a heater in the tank? Almost all aquarium heaters come on and off as the temperature changes. Fluval makes them, marineland, and many others you can buy them at your local fish store. What size tank is it? You will need to know because they come in different wattages.

Yes I do have a heater right now. But I want to change it. Yesterday it didn't stop at the temperature I set it up for. That is why I want a new one. I am aware of the watt stuff. My tank is 55g. Any brand you can recommend?

foster53 said:
I use aqueon heaters. Relatively accurate and very dependable.

+1 for Aqueon. Spot on, and haven't had any problems with mine. Look for Aqueon pro heaters, the ones that aren't glass.

Marineland, Aqueon, and Jager heaters have been very reliable for me. When I chose to buy Aqueon and Marineland, I read lots of good review about them on Amazon. They were right..

Thanks for the input on heaters. It's nice for a newbie like me to find good info on which ones work well.

always a good idea to back up your heater with a inexpensive glass thermometer just to help fine tune the heater just in case the temp setting isn't spot on, just MHO

always a good idea to back up your heater with a inexpensive glass thermometer just to help fine tune the heater just in case the temp setting isn't spot on, just MHO

Great point! That's my personal short term plan. I thought I might eventually put the heaters that already have a built in thermostat on a controller and set the controller a couple of degrees higher than the heaters. I figured it'd be a fail safe if the heaters got out of line. That way there is two ways of shutting them off should they fail, not just seeing that there was a failure. Does anyone know of any issues setting it up like that?

Back
Top Bottom