Which is the best Filter type for my aqaurium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davala

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an 80 L / 20 gallon tank with four adult goldfish and one youth, so I need a pretty good filter. I'm currently using a cheap sponge biological filter which is doing pretty much nothing, so I need to upgrade pretty quickly. The trouble is; I'm finding it really difficult to choose which type of filter I need.

There are certain conditions that the filter must come under;
- The filter must be cheap! I really can't afford to spend over twenty pounds on a new filter.
- The filter must have a visible effect! I need the filter to actually trap the dirt/waste so it can easily be removed, not just drawing the waste to a particular space.

I think I need a mechanical filter, but I'm not too sure.
I'd also be using Amazon.co.uk.

Can someone please point me into the right direction?
Thanks.

I'd go with a penguin 350. I have one on both my tanks as a second filter and they seem to do a great job. It's plenty big for that size tank.

AquaClear 50 with 2 sponges or SunSun 302 canister; since you're using Amazon, look it up. Mine has been running for a year now and it's cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would first worry about a much bigger tank a fully grown goldfish is 10-12inches long. You are going to need a huge tank for that many goldfish.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Your aquarium stocking level is 310%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.[SIZE=-1] http://www.aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.php?N=&L=30&D=12&H=12&J=&UV=gUS&UL=inch&F=5:200909300085:[/SIZE]

Yep, unless It's a very unusual tiny 3" maximum size goldfish, you are way overstocked. No filter will make it healthy.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

comets can go over 50 lbs you need a larger tank
I used to use a pegin 350 and it did a great job now I switch to a dyi canister
gold fish are very messy fish and in that tank you will need to do daily water changes even with the best filter
to clean the food and solid waste a magnum hot will do a great job and you can wash the filter material off and reuse it

Oh dang it!!! More very important info I didn't know. I have a 20 gal long tank with celestial goldfish and 4 comets that were feeders and an African Albino frog. I was told it was dwarf and same store said no it's AA clawed frog. So much conflicting information my heads going to explode, hopefully with knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would this filter type be OK in my 20 Gallon tank?

have a 20 gallon tank with a few goldfish, and I need a new filter. Im looking for something relatively cheap however, and am unsure what type of design I need.

Would something like this be alright:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Bi...94866&sr=8-1&keywords=aquarium+sponge+filters

Or would a design like this be better:
Hidom Aquarium 22w Internal Filter Pump with Spray Bar 1000 LPH Filtration - AP1500L: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I currently use a single sponge biological filter.

Back
Top Bottom