Which is the best schooler for a ten gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Am going to be rescaping my ten gallon with plants soon and I would like to get some schooling fish.
The current occupants of the tank is a betta and one Otto. I also want to get some shrimp and/or nerite snails so they should be compatible with those. Our water is also very hard with a PH of about 8.4.

My ideas are
A. Neon tetras
B. Glow light tetras
C. Harlequin rasboras

I am also open to other ideas so please share them. Which of these fish do you think would be the best for my tank?

I wouldn't put Neons in a 10 gal; they are very active swimmers and would appreciate more horizontal swim space plus they might be too active for the Betta. Glowlights should be OK I think, not sure if the Harlequins should be in a larger tank. A school of nano fish like ember tetra, celestial pearl danio or chili rasbora would be a better choice IMO.

I looked at ember tetras but it appears that they prefer softer water, and I can't find them anywhere but online :( would rummy nose tetras be OK? I like them but I think that they may get too big.

Hello,

From what I've read and experienced, Ph is a non-factor when choosing your fish and really doesn't matter as long as it's stable (unless you're planning on keeping discus for instance). Fish will be able to adapt as long as you acclimate them properly. So my guess is that any small schooling fish will be fine. Although I'm not too sure they'd school since they only really school if they feel separated from the group. And a 10g might not be sufficient enough for neons and rummies. However, I agree that nano fish will be a better choice. Hope this helps!

I just looked at the CPD online and I really like them! Where would be the best place to get them? (I've never ordered any fish online before)

I looked at ember tetras but it appears that they prefer softer water, and I can't find them anywhere but online :( would rummy nose tetras be OK? I like them but I think that they may get too big.

There is at least one forum member who sells ember tetras. I got mine from severum mama and they are amazing. I would absolutely recommend them for a 10 gallon, especially if said 10 gallon was plated. That would be gorgeous. Also, my water isn't soft. ;)

Rummies would need more room simply because you need lots of them to have them feel comfortable.

And yes, black phantoms should have a larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom