which lighting would be better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harmy4993

Aquarium Advice FINatic
im currently looking at these 2 fixtures

30" Satellite 1x65W SunPaq w/Lunar Light (Current)
1x 65w 10k /460mn light i believe
Current USA Satellite Dual 30" 2x65 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/Lunar Light at Big Al's Online
2x65w 10k/6700k + 420/460nm light.

what im worried/confused about is the 420/460 light. does that in anyway effect the wattage for plant use? if the 1x65w is a true usable 65w then that would be enough for a 29g tank. if its not a true usuable 65watts i think i need the 2x65w fixture.

any suggestions? im hoping to achieve a heavy planted tank with co2 and ferts.

The actinic bulbs in those fixtures would be useless in a planted tank. You can have a heavilly planted tank with either fixture with the right kind of bulb. Just depends on what kind of plants you want to grow.

I have a 29 with 2x55w CFs and it's a handfull. I prune once or twice a week, dose ferts everyday, and perform 50% water changes once a week. Plus side is I can grow almost anything in it. Downside is things can go wrong real quick.

If your somewhat handy you could always build your own or retrofit your existing light fixture using something like this 36 or 55 watt Bright Kits .

I agree. I think you'd be good with a single 65w daylight fixture. You want something in the 6000K to 10000K range. Commonly sold 65w bulbs are 6700K and 10000K and either would be fine.

If you plan to have co2 injection, dose ferts, and have alot of plants that will need trimming often, then 2x65w (both daylight bulbs) would be fine.

I agree, get the 2x65W fixture, get the proper bulbs, and you can start with only using 1 of the lights until ferts and CO2 are stable, then kick in the extra oomph!

i picked up a 2x55w watt and my lfs today. came with 2 10k lights and i think ill replace one with a 6700.

opps im sorry i thought this was my lighting thread. sorry to kinda of hi jack it.

i got it new at the lfs. yes its a pc. the color is very blueish because of the 10k bulbs. want to put a 6700 in to change the color alittle and to give the plants a bit more of a spectrum of lighting. the only thing is it doesnt come with a moonlight so have to figure out how to install a moonlight somewhere.

The only problem though with a 30" wide tank is that bulbs are either 24" or 36". There are no in-between sizes that I know of. That means you'll have dark corners in the tank. You can slightly stagger the bulbs some but you will not eliminate it. You can use low light plants in those areas but they eventually they will start reaching for the higher light areas.

Not that it's a real big deal though but just thought I would give you a heads up on it.

Merged posts into Harmy's lighting thread.

I think you'll like the the lighting better with a 6700K bulb. The nice thing is you can hold onto the 10000K bulb for when it's time to replace bulbs in a year.

Back
Top Bottom