Which of these plants could work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is my tank:
29 gallon, 2 HOB filters, fine gravel substrate, finnex fugeray planted+, lots of DW, lava rock, weekly water changes of about 40%, stocked fully with nano fish.

My current fertilization routine is flourish comprehensive weekly, metricide 14 daily and dry ferts daily. I am not dosing nitrates at this time as mine typically measure around 5 ppm, but am dosing phosphate/potassium combination from GLA.

I currently have all low light plants: anubias, java fern, crypts and floating frogbit. As I have upgraded my light recently, I wanted to add a bit more variety to my tank. Preferably, I would like to get something that would grow to fill in some of my bare upper portion of my 16 inch tall tank.

I have found a guy in town willing to sell me some trimmings. Here is the list of what he has available. Please give me your opinions on which of these plants could thrive in my specific tank (low-medium light, liquid carbon, dry ferts, weekly micros; no CO2).

Alternanthera reineckii Red Temple $3 / 3 stems
Cabomba caroliniana Green Cabomba $4 / 3 stems
Cardamine lyrata $2 / 2 stems
Eriocaulon parkeri $4 /plant
Hygrophila sp. 'Bold' $2 /stem
Limnobium laevigatum Amazon Frogbit $1 / 5+ plants
Ludwigia Repens $2 / 3 stems
Micrantherum umbrosum Monte Carlo $6 / 1.5"x1.5" section
Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum' Red Bamboo $2 /stem
Rotala macranda 'Caterpillar' (morph of R. butterfly) $4 / 5 stems
Vallisneria americana var. Biwaensis $3 / 2 plants

Rivercats is the best one to answer these types of questions :)
I may be wrong, but I think if your tank is 16" tall you're going to have at least medium light with the planted plus..
If you have medium light and use Liquid carbon and the GLA ferts I think you could grow just about any of those plants. Good luck! I'm hoping to upgrade to the same light soon.
Edit: I think vals are sensitive to liquid carbon so you might not want to get those.

Thanks for the info on the vals. Yeah, in doing my research, I was considering that this light would get me into the lower zone of medium light with the depth of my tank. I know that really expands my plant options. Still, though, I know that some plants require high light and pressurized CO2, so I am hoping to learn whether any of these listed plants could thrive in my tank.

You can acclimate Vals to liquid carbon. Start with 1/4- 1/2 the dose. Over time the Vals will acclimate.

Back
Top Bottom