Which pump is sufficient for a SCWD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a Mag 9.5 that I ordered and haven't used. Thinking about setting up a SCWD before I get the tank running. It's going on a 72g tank with a little over 4' head. I'm about to exchange this pump for a Mag12. What do you think?

I am assuming this is your main return pump as well? Depending on your drains/overflows I would definately go bigger. I ran a mag 12 on a 73 bow and always felt like it wasn't enough. Now it's on a 50.

R-

Not sure, I'll check when I get home what I'm using. One thing about a SCWD. Mine works well, but I do get bubbles out of it. A little annoying. Any yes I have checked, no leaks.

on my tank it works great. no bubbles but i did see that if the pump was off there would be air in the unit (scwd) and i found if you tap it on some thing they will be nocked loss and there will be no more bubbles. i love the thing, but i would put it on a closed loop becasue the kmore water you pump on it the faster it changes, so you might want to do like a closed loop with it on the tank.

Yes, it will also be the main pump. The drain is 1" and return is 3/4". It's a AGA tank w/ the Megaflow kit.

Someone told me with the Mag12, the SCWD will alternate approx every 4secs.

As for the closed loop. I'm not sure if I wanna go that route. In addition to the SCWD, I wanted to add a couple ph on a wavemaker of some sort. I current have a couple MJ1200, but think Im going to get 900s instead because they are way more efficient and run cooler at the sacrifice of minimal gph flow.

I've been following another thread about the Rio SEIOs. Supposively, they are suppose to release a new version specifically designed for their wavemaker.

Should I go with a mag18? Any pump recommendations?

If you only have a single 1" drain you will have to throttle back even a Mag 12 w/ head height and a SCWD. If I am not mistaken the single megaflow is only rated at 600 GPH. If you indeed only have the single I'd stick with the 9 or perhaps a 12 for maximun capacity and 3 or 4 powerheads on a wavemaker. I would just hate to see you get a larger pump only to have to cut it back with a ball valve. That's like driving a corvette with a governor on it. 8O

R-

If I have to throttle back the 12, will just closing the ball valve a bit work? Or will I have to T the return and drain part of it back into the sump?

The mag 12's are perfect for the SCWDS. This is what i always recomend to people! I have some customersw using the mag 18 but I do not recomend it.

A ball valve wil work and should be in place even if you do not have to throttle it back. You never know when you need to cut the flow without unplugging the pump. And as Darin and I both suggested a 12 is great, but not if you have to cut it back to the point it is running at a 9.5 output. Check the rating on you overflow.

R-

Ok. The AGA overflow is rated for 600gph. I will have a little bit over 4ft head height.

What's the final word on which pump I should get? Thanks.

The 12 should be fine. You will lose some GPH from the head height and the restriction of the SCWD.

Thanks Darin. Did anyone ever find out how much flow loss is lost with a SCWD?

The Mag9.5 at 4ft head height flows approx. 800gph. Does the scwd drain 200gph?

A Mag12 at 4ft head height flows approx. 1050gph. Do you thing a scwd will drain 450gph?

bump

If the scwd will drain 450gph, then getting a mag12 will work. Anyone??? Need to know soon. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom