Whisper 30 Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cloverdale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK - so I am reading about not changing filters on the recommended schedules b/c it kills off bacteria, which is certainly not what I want to do - but here is my question.

I have a Whisper 30 which sucks up water, pushes it through a carbon filled filter pad, then a plastic type sponge, then into the tank. The recommendations I have read advise to change the carbon filled pad when the water backs up, ie the first pad (the carbon filled one) has too much junk and water isn't flowing properly.

So - where does the bacteria grow?? I am hoping on that second plastic type sponge. How often do I need to rinse that plastic type sponge? I am thinking not at all right now as my tank is cycling. There after - once a week? less?

Thanks for all advice!!!

You should rinse the filter pad when it backs up like suggested. I might even remove the carbon after a while to help with the flow since you will never get it back to like new condition. The bacteria lives in your filter and also your substrate. For the filter If I remember correctly the plastic filter pad is behind the white one with carbon. Basically it serves no mechanical filtration purposes so yes its more like a home for bacteria to give you biological filtration. I do not suggest cleaning this one as long as you can get away with it since it holds almost no waste.

Should you feel the need to place a fresh filter pad inside, It probably wont hurt too much in your case but I still suggest rinsing as long as you can.

The majority of the bacteria will be in the filter cartridge, and the white pad, never change the filter cartridge unless falls apart, just rinse it with tank water to remove the gunk every 5 to 6 weeks, to improve the flow.

The filter cartridge can last several months and in some cases even more, the manufacturers of the filters recommend to change them frequently to make more money, but it is not needed.

Back
Top Bottom