White Anubis leaf. Causes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drab808

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone my one Anubis has sprouted a new leaf which is white. Is it due to a deficiency or something or does this sometimes happen? I have heard of variegations but this is basically a straight white leaf with no patches so I don't think so. Any ideas?
Thanks

Sent from aliens in outer space studying humans and their activities.....

Photos

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439317201.157450.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439317222.360434.jpg

This is actually not a leaf. It's quite uncommon but Anubias can actually flower. Sadly, if this flower is not above water it will die, it's a pretty sight to see while it is there though. My guess your leaf is still in the beginning stages of becoming a flower.

Caleb

This is actually not a leaf. It's quite uncommon but Anubias can actually flower. Sadly, if this flower is not above water it will die, it's a pretty sight to see while it is there though. My guess your leaf is still in the beginning stages of becoming a flower.

Caleb

Didn't know that this was a possibility, that's pretty cool, rather unfortunate it won't keep underwater

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Didn't know that this was a possibility, that's pretty cool, rather unfortunate it won't keep underwater

Yes it is, I've only seen a few threads on here of an Anubias flowering.

Caleb

Caleb

I've been lucky enough to have it flower before but I don't believe it is flowering this time, although I may be wrong.
The leaf has unfurled since yesterday so this makes me think it's not a flower. I will try and get a better photo tomorrow when the lights come back on. If it is a white leaf do you have any idea as to the cause? I actually quite like the white :)

I've been lucky enough to have it flower before but I don't believe it is flowering this time, although I may be wrong.
The leaf has unfurled since yesterday so this makes me think it's not a flower. I will try and get a better photo tomorrow when the lights come back on. If it is a white leaf do you have any idea as to the cause? I actually quite like the white :)

If it is actually "just a leaf" than I am unsure. I know leaves can discolor due to nutrient deficiencies but totally white is definitely a new one lol

Caleb

Could the anubias be a marbled leaf cultivar? Some rare anubias have white or marbled leaf colorings. Also, not trying to hate, but it looks like you have blue green algae. Might want to dose some hydrogen peroxide on the affected areas. Just food for thought.

Could the anubias be a marbled leaf cultivar? Some rare anubias have white or marbled leaf colorings. Also, not trying to hate, but it looks like you have blue green algae. Might want to dose some hydrogen peroxide on the affected areas. Just food for thought.

Yea I've dosed it a few times using a syringe and it doesn't seem to want to disappear :( so I'm waiting for new leaves so I can cut off affected pieces. Could too much light cause the white? I think it's the reason I'm battling with the algae...

There is always a possibility that you aren't matching things with other factors (too much light, not enough ferts, not enough co2), so you may have a deficiency. I think you'll have to watch the plant and see if all other leaves come out similar. The blue green algae though, that's a bacteria. That's why snails and cleaners won't eat it. It'll spread. I've heard the best way about dosing is stopping all water movement, and dosing h2o2 until the blue green algae starts to bubble. After about 10-15 minutes you can turn the filters back on. A couple of doses and it will turn brownish colors and that's when it'll be considered dying and defeated.

There is always a possibility that you aren't matching things with other factors (too much light, not enough ferts, not enough co2), so you may have a deficiency. I think you'll have to watch the plant and see if all other leaves come out similar. The blue green algae though, that's a bacteria. That's why snails and cleaners won't eat it. It'll spread. I've heard the best way about dosing is stopping all water movement, and dosing h2o2 until the blue green algae starts to bubble. After about 10-15 minutes you can turn the filters back on. A couple of doses and it will turn brownish colors and that's when it'll be considered dying and defeated.

Thanks I'll try that over the next few days and see if I can get rid of it. Just recently got rid of a hair algae out break.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439396256.708276.jpg

Got a photo of the Anubius today while I was rescaping

Back
Top Bottom