white cloud mountain minnow - burst?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy mama

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I thought my minnow was looking extremely pregnant so put her in a separate tank with another female and a male. she just go bigger and bigger. I looked on the internet for advice and decided she had bloat due to being egg bound but before I could treat with epsom salts it looks like she has burst? she is considerably thinner underneath but there seems to be white cotton like substance stuck to her stomach. I moved her into a small quarantine tank and all of a sudden there were clouds of tiny (what looked to me like eggs) floating around in the tank. I gently put my hand under her and turned her onto her side to see if there was a tear or hole and tried to wipe the white stuff off. This obviously caused her pain so I stopped and let her go. she is now pottering around the bottom of the tank, breathing slightly fast but otherwise not looking distressed. I want to do what's best for her so if anyone has any experience of this please help.

I have white cloud minnows and they are egg layers as opposed to live bearers, so she couldn't have been pregnant. The females do start to look very large/bloated before they lay their eggs, so perhaps that's what you were seeing. I've never actually seen my females lay eggs, so I don't know what it looks like but if I had to guess, that's what occured.

I hope she is ok.

Back
Top Bottom