White crust on swordtail's caudal fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loueradun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, new to the forum and I was hoping to get some advice on one of my swordtails. For about a week I have noticed there is some white crust on my swordtails fin, none of my other swordtails seem to have it. Otherwise all fish seem to be fine but I am totally new to this hobby so I'm hoping to get some input.

Here is the best pic I was able to get:
vEzI0Vu.jpg

Here is my questionnaire:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Swordtail has a white crust on its caudal fin.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

0/0/10-20/78°F/7.2pH

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

The tank is 29g. It has been in my posession for about a month and a half. I am not sure about the previous owner. Bought the tank from a person on craigslist who was leaving the country. The tank was moved apx. 30 miles with about 6 inches of water left in the tank. When we arrived, and replaced the water (with the same that had came from the tank with the exception of about 5 gallons), there was a bunch of debris kicked up from the move. The next morning the filter was very dirty and got changed, and water properties were checked. The tank was 0/0/300+/78°F/6.4pH, and over the next week I was doing 25% water changes to bring the nitrates under control. All the fish had clamped fins during this time. About 3 weeks ago I got the nitrates under control, and the fish started acting healthier.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

This is going to be a hard one to answer. The previous owner had built a custom filter into the side of the tank. The water gets siphoned out of the main tank into the filter area. It has a fairly porous blue/white filter media at the top, with a carbon filter pack below. Below that is a thick foam filter media, followed by an area with porous objects I assume to hold some good bacteria (he had used about 20 little bundles of shortly trimmed plastic straws, followed by another thick foam filter media. I don't think the flow rate is significantly high as there is no impeller driving it. After that, the air pump hose goes up a tube coming from the bottom of the filter that causes the water to rise, and then fall back into the main tank.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

8 swordtails ranging from 1-1/2" to 3" and 2 very small babies less than 1/2"
3 peppered corydoras 2-1/2"
2 albino corydoras 2-1/2"
1 pregnant female guppy 2"
1 neon tetra 1"
1 border loach 2-1/2"
1 clown pleco 2-1/2"

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

last week I did a 25% water change and gravel vac. I'm still getting into a normal routine, so I will keep an eye on my nitrates and try and aim for less than 20ppm. I've been doing them at least once a week, but if you read above I have done many in the last month and a half. (probably 10 or 12 total)

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

The fish in question is not new, it came with the tank. However we did re-home 13 of the swordtails that came with the tank, and 5 albino corys. The border loach and clown pleco are new additions to the tank.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

About a month ago, we added hiding places for the fish (a castle ornament with a couple hiding places) as well as another small open barrel ornament. Last week I also added a new light (Finnex Planted Plus LED) which is set up to use the 24/7 mode. Previously that tank had 2 standard CFL light bulbs. The LED is brighter when at mid day.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Tetra fish flakes (diet has not changed), we feed once in the morning and everyone comes out for food except the pleco.

I can't tell that well from the picture but does the fin actually look crusty or just white?

White lines on the fin could simply be where the new tissue is regrowing. Considering how bad conditions were when you got the tank it wouldn't be surprising if some of the fish had fin rot.

Seems like you're doing all the right things!

It doesn't really appear to have any texture to it that i can tell. Just white in color between the spines sort of like how whitewash colors the cracks in wood.

Also, one of my male swordtails is definitely a paler (closer to grey color) than the rest and has blue hues in his tail where the rest of them are more of a yellow color. I attributed that to just a different genetic makeup in that particular fish, but I've been keeping an eye on him.

For the moment I'm trying my best not to make any big changes and let the fish get into a more normal routine as I know they have put up with a lot of changes recently, but I do think they seem much happier after fixing the nitrates and re-homing a bunch of them.

I will update the post if I notice any changes (for the better or worse).

yeah, it really does sound like you're doing everything you can, but even changes for the better can be really stressful on fish (as you obviously know!) I would just keep up your water change routine so nitrates don't rise again and keep an eye on them, the changing colors and white streaks could just be fin regrowth and the fish getting readjusted to clean water.

Also, is there a common name for a filter like mine that works via a siphon versus an impellor moving the water? Still trying to get familiar with all the terminology.

Yes, the pump just feeds bubbles into the return tube to bring the water to the top and back into the tank.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Sounds like it's based on the bubbler / corner / box filter kind of design. It's built into the tank itself right? It's internal?

I think that used to be a popular filter style but I haven't seen one in a long time. I don't think people use them much anymore.

Yes, its built into the side of the tank internally (probably about 4 inches wide). Here is a picture. I rinsed the top filter and sponge last water change, will probably rinse the bottom sponge the time after next, it looks like it needs it.

GhXYfwxh.jpg

yeah it's some kind of a box filter. You can replace that filter media with fresh stuff if you want, who knows how long it's been in there! Obviously you won't want to replace it all at once though or you'll mini-cycle.

Okay so it looks like I have another female swordtail with the same thing going on now, this is new since yesterday.

0CsePgQh.jpg

This seems more like the typical "fin rot". Starting to get a little concerned.

Back
Top Bottom