White fuzz balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have found two of these things now. Both are near my corals (1 on the rock of my xenia frag and the other is right in the middle of my pollyps. They look like little balls with a little bit of fuzz. They also appear to have a small hole near the top.

I can get a pic if that would help. They are a off white color.

Thats what Im thinking, after doing some research on here. I have heard they are harmless. Do they mean good thriving tank? And how come they decided to grow next to the corals? Coincidence?

Sorry I couldnt find much info on it through google. If you have any usefull link please hook me up :)

Fluff I havent heard from you or seen you on AIM in a while. Hope you and your tank are doign well :).

They are harmless and usually grow in low light areas but, it's not uncommon to see them here and there on the liverock. They are Syconoid sponges and nothing you need to worry about. Filter feeders and actually beneficial since they are doing a service by filtering your water. If they get to plague proportions and you want to lower the numbers, you can easily scrape them off. There numbers will go up and down depending on nutrients in the tank.

Oh, and I've been on AIM here and there but your always "away". :wink:
I do use GTalk and YIM for often though.

Back
Top Bottom