White growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrjoshua313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I I just noticed a white cotton like growth on my drift wood and some of my plants. It is only on a couple plants not all. Will it hurt my fish as of now everyone is ok.

Attachments

• image-305945418.jpg
    image-305945418.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1817937168.jpg
    image-1817937168.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 74
It's pretty harmless, some DW ...particularly in newer tanks... Gets that stringy growth on them. It goes away on its own and some fish even nibble on it.

So came home from work today to find most of my guppies with ick. Treated tank then watched them die one by one. :-(
Was able to move ad save my other fish and African dwarf frogs. So not a total loss. Just don't know what happened. I guess I'll break down tomorrow and plan a new tank.

Sorry about your fish. :( It's likely the remaining ones are infected though even if you moved them. Treating the whole tank is the best option although the frogs might need to be moved although if you just use heat they may be ok, not sure if 86 is too high for them. You can usually treat Ich with just heat: slowly raise the temp to 86 degrees over the course of a day or two and keep it there for 1-2 weeks after spots have disappeared. Do extra water changes every couple of days with gravel vacuum to suck up any ich parasites.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I did water changes twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom