White hairs on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warped1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I've got a problem down here. My fish tank is in the second week of its fishless cycle and I've noticed some weird growths. Before I go into a better explanation here are my water parameters. Ammonia1.0 - Nitrite 1.0 - Nitrate 10 - Phosphate 1.0 -- These measurements were done with the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and the API Phosphate test kit.
Now back to the problem - like I've said about 2 weeks into the fishless cycle and I have noticed long (about an inch and a half) white-ish colored hairs clumped together in random patches - waving in the currents. They are very fine and almost translucent - smoke like. They have attached themselves to my Malaysian driftwood - of which there is allot of in the tank. All of the driftwood had been boiled thourghly for about two hours before placement into the tank. These patches when pulled of the wood and put on a white towel appear reddish brown.
Can anybody tell me what is going on?

Do you have pictures of the hairs?

When I added the piece of Malaysian driftwood to my tank after boiling I had a film of sorts attach itself to the wood. it was just bacteria colonizing on the steralized wood. It could just be that. It went away on its own. Pictures would help if you have them.

I suspect that it's either a form of algae or some other natural growth common with new driftwood. It may go away on it's own before the cycle is over. I wouldn't worry about it right now.

Hey it's warped1's son here hope your all doing well out there my fathers doing some stuff right now so i'm in charge of posting the pics. I took the first one he took the other two. hope they help with everythig. feel free to tell my dad that my picture better then his two although all three have not so good quality.

that's it thanks angain

Peace
Warped1's SON

Attachments

• IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 75
I agree that it looks like bacteria forming on the steralized wood. It'll go away once the tank becomes established. Some of ny fish actually ate it off of the wood, so it is harmless. Just unsightly to look at.

I feel like I'm in a cheap 1950's sci-fi flick. I woke up this morning to find that whatever is invading my tank greatly increased. I fear that at this rate the city of Philadelphia will be covered in a month
The patches are mainly white but now definitely have a red/brown center to them they are now about 2 inches long and breeding fast
Do you think it is still bacteria? and What should I do aside from calling an exorcist?

Back
Top Bottom