White-ish grey spot on Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone!
While feeding my Betta this afternoon, I noticed that, depending on the light, he had a tiny tiny white-ish/grey spot on the center his head. I just eyeballed it with a ruler and it is approximately 1mm in size.

I've had him for maybe a month now, I do weekly PWC (usually 10-25%) and I'm pretty consistent with them, but sometimes I might go a day or two longer than a week. He is alone in a 2gal hex tank with a heater and fake plants. I feed him once a day, and he fasts one day a week to digest :)

He isn't acting different or scratching his head against anything. He's swimming around now at a normal pace, his fins aren't clamped, he's not extra aggressive, so I'm stumped. He's even building a bubble nest!

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he has some dust stuck to him. I just bought a Top Fin gravel vac and I was trying to start it up by moving it rapidly like the packaging told me, and I couldn't get it to work. I went back to PetSmart and they showed me how to work it. I still couldn't get it to work, all that ended up happening was that a lot of dust and debris was kicked up while I was trying to work it, and thus my water was very cloudy for a day or so. I was planning to completely clean out the tank and do a 100% WC and gravel cleaning in the near future, but I want to wait now until I get some advice.

The debris has finally settled and now I see this odd speck. PetSmart told me it could be the beginning of a fungal infection. It's not cotton-y at all. Just a strange discoloration of his skin that I can only see at certain angles. I bought API Pro Series Fungus Cure but I don't want to use it if it's not an infection.

I haven't tested the water yet and I need to run to work so I can't, but can anyone help a newbie out?

Doesn't really sound like anything at this time. Check your water parameters and keep the water clean, then just monitor the area. But I would increase your water change schedule.

Just checked my water-- looks like 1.0ppm. Unfortunately I had to buy strips because I didn't have the money to buy a test kit.

Here are two pictures of my fish:
http://i56.tinypic.com/dy5cw2.jpg
Here you can see the small spot on the top of his head.

http://i56.tinypic.com/hra3qq.jpg
and here you can see a small reddish/orange line on his gills. These I just discovered today.
However, he is blue/orange so I'm not sure if that's just his coloring..

I think he has ammonia poisoning if anything. Water changes?
Should I move him to a new, bigger tank that I have set up for him to move to once it's done cycling and just do a half-cycled tank?

Your Betta is beautiful! I wouldn't worry about either of those things unless he starts to act weird. Just keep an eye on him and keep up with testing and changing your water.

I'd say from the pictures you provided that he just bumped his head against something and it left a small wound. He should be OK, just make sure that it is healing and doesn't get any worse. I don't see anything else wrong with him.

Nothing to worry too much about.

Back
Top Bottom