White patches!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help me out guys! My fish has large white patches on her dorsal causal and pectoral fins. They arent completely covered but seem to be growing slowly i will upload a picture anyone have any idea what this might be? All parameters are within acceptable levels the temp. is 65 drgrees and im treating with pimafix and melafix.

First, what type of fish is it that you have the temp so cold? And when you say the water parameters are “within acceptable levels” what are they? Can you give more info like tank size, stock, and filtration as well?

Oh yea sorry it is a black moor goldfish in a ten gallon hospital tank ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrates are at 20 it has a corner filter filled with ceramic media and a petco filter that came with the tank not sure the model number

I just noticed a few spots on her side as well

Attachments

• 1451771507774.jpg
    1451771507774.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 1451771642518.jpg
    1451771642518.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 67
I dont think its ich though she has had it for a while now at least 2 months i rescued her and cant for the life of me figure out what it is

With that length of time, it's still possible it's ich, but it's unlikely. I have read some rare instances when fish had ich for such a significant amount of time, but again those are rare.

Could it possibly be some sort of fungus? We need someone more experienced to chime in. :tapout: XP

Lol thank you for your help im treating with the pimafix and melafix for fungus but ive also read it might be parasitic

Do the white bumps on the side look like a growth coming through scale or something sitting on top / replacing the scale?

Walmart use to have a product called "parasite clear" that contains Acriflavin and victoria green, that is what i would use.
There are parasites that move along the fish's scales and damage it, leading to secondary bacterial infections. Then Fungus moves in ad eats the dead skin that was killed by bacteria.
Acriflavine/ malachite may work for this situation you have. It is also sort of a antibiotic/antimicrobial.
Aquarium medications
Its about 4 bucks at walmart.

Awesome thank you so much ill give it a shot do you happen to know if its safe on scaleless fish?

Its called "ick clear" now or something. LOL i cant keep track of these walmart products, but i know if you look on the back it should have the ingredients "Acriflavine, Victoria Green"
I dont think it looks like tail rot, because fungus and bacteria should not just "GROW" randomly on fishes scales like that..... It does not work like that!
There has to be an open wound for bacteria to grow on a fish like that, Nor does "fungus" actually water mould, grow like that on a fish for no reason. There has to be a wound of some sort, and since its all over the fishes skin, im thinking it has to be some sort of parasite on the outside doing damage.
I don't know about the safe on scaless fish thing, its not a product i use or reccomend alot. Its more for ick and has anti-bacterial/anti-microbial properties to it.
Should work for your situation........
It is a unique situation.
However im wondering, you said your black moor "passes away" due to some "white patches on its skin"
Was it the same kind of patches as this? Was it worse, like tail rot or under the skin lesions?
Normally goldfish dont get columnaris alot, they are natuarlly strong immune system to bacterial infections

That makes alot of sense i was starting to think it was parasitic also and im sorry i dont remember which post that was could you tell me the name of the thread?

There is no thread. This is all in my head having been in the hobby for many years and focusing on diseases.
I cannot recall where i read it , its been awhile. I think its caused by Skin flukes or Lice.
The med i reccomended should work.
For the bacteria and fungus as well.

Back
Top Bottom