White spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunder-head

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my goldfish has a white cist about where the fin meets the body, from what i've seen in pictures i think it's white spot. I can easily treat this but i also have a bourneo pleco in with him and worried about possible effects of the meds on him. Any thoughts?

dunder-head said:
One of my goldfish has a white cist about where the fin meets the body, from what i've seen in pictures i think it's white spot. I can easily treat this but i also have a bourneo pleco in with him and worried about possible effects of the meds on him. Any thoughts?

Don't need to go the meds route. U can treat ich by adding aquarium salt.

You'll also need to follow how to treat scaleless fish if you use salt and high temp.

This was posted by Jsoong in another thread recently:

Best way to treat goldfish with ich is with salt. You will need to treat him in a hospital setup (you don't want to salt an entire pond.) Gradual (over 24 hr) increase of salt to 0.3% is recommended, and you need to keep the salt at that level for at least 1 week after the ich spots are gone.
Treating Ich with Salt

You can optionally raise the temp to high 70's (26C ish) to hasten the ich lifecycle and shorten treatment. This temp is not high enough to kill ich out-right so salt is still needed. You will need to have excellent aeration to maintain goldfish in higher temp.

For severe infestation, i have also use salt dip to quickly stripe off the slime coat & remove the parasite load. I would use 0.5 - 0.9% salt bath (lower conc. if fish is weak) for 15-30 min. Followed by the long term bath at 0.3%. <Some go as high as 3% - full marine ... but that is tough on the fish.>

During treatment, maintaining perfect water condition is a must. That means setting up a cycled hospital tank, and lots of pwc. <Some advocate daily 100% water change to remove all cysts that had fallen off the fish.>

I wouldn't suggest treating in the same tank as the pleco though... The pleco will be fine with the heat treatment, but the goldfish wont... so you're going to have to treat them separately IMO

Back
Top Bottom