White spot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanstobbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could anybody please help. Some of my fish appear to have white spot any ideas on how to combat this. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, I am not a lover of medication so I'll leave that one there.
If you can increase the tank temp to 80f or even higher to 82f then the cycle of the white spot (Ick) is speeded up and the free swimming parasites have less chance of reaching a new host and forming a new white spot. As the free swimming parasites tend to occupy the water near the gravel then small daily water changes paying attention to the gravel will help remove a lot, you cannot see them with the naked eye.
Some people add a small amount of aquarian salt but I don't because of my mixture of fish and plants.
You should remember that the spot stage is not treatable and when the spot drops off it is because it's has released loads of free swimming parasites. This is when the parasites are at their most vulnerable and heat helps beat them. I believe at 86f the paradise dies but not many people can take their tank that high.
Most importantly, when increasing water temperature increase the s
Water surface agitation as warmer water has less dissolved oxygen in it and agitation will help. Many people just drop the way level in the tank a couple of inches so that the filter outlets drops into the water.
Do not drop the water temperature until you have has 10 clear days with no further outbreaks of spots.
Good luck but there are no guarantees.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom