White spots, Ich or fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYYFan19801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tiger barb recently developed white spots on his fins and around his eyes (see pic). I can't tell what it is and if it is Ich, what's the best way to treat it in a planted tank where raising the temp much about 80 isn't really possible. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-4216075469.jpg
    image-4216075469.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 179
  • image-1204980218.jpg
    image-1204980218.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 170
The tail looks like ich, but the dorsal fins look like fungus. My harlequin rasboras had the same thing on their dorsals (2 different batches) and turning up the heat is only going to make the fungus worse. I used a combo of Melafix and Pimafix, and they healed up in about 5 days. I would get Ick-Attack for the ich. All of those meds are all natural, and won't harm anything in your tank.

Thanks guys, I'll give those a shot. Should I put carbon back in my filter afterwards to remove the meds? Currently I'm not running carbon.

Bought some Pimafix, Metafix, and Ick Guard, all the spots on my tiger disappeared overnight! Over course I'm going to finish the treatment, but so far everything looks good so I'm happy.

Awesome!!! Yes, make SURE you do the full treatment, ich can only be killed in it's free swimming stage. ;)

Make sure you use the full 7 days of Mela/Pima too. With the last rasboras I had to go 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom