White spots on Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfish54

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, my first post.

My betta has some white spots on it, it's fins are frayed and it's eyes are popping out. I got some tetracycline and have about completed the treatment and the only difference I notice is that some color has returned but not much. I thought the white spots were ich so I added some aquarium salt and turned the temp up to 89. I know there are a few different things that can cause white spots, can people tell me how to differentiate between the different causes? I don't want to keep medicating him for the wrong stuff. I've searched everywhere but I can't find anything really descriptive. The white spots have moved to being closer to the head now and the joint between his front fins and body is white. I think he's just getting worse which is really frustrating because he survived for so long without treatment (I was away). I really just wanted a low maintenance pet. Initially the spots were just on his decorative fins but they've moved. The eyes seem to have gotten worse, which I'm guessing might be the result of the tetracycline killing off the good bacteria (I saved the filter by taking it out and putting it in some water)

The white spots look like salt to me, but they do form larger spots sometimes. :huh::facepalm::eek::confused::(:hide:

some more info as per the faq at the top of the forum, It's a 5g tank. I've been doing daily water changes (25ish%). I've kept the filter running (without the original filter) to keep the water agitated and moving. The tank is very clean. I've had him for a little over a year now. Ph is 7.5. I don't have a test kit so I don't know the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite amounts but I'm sure they're higher now that I've used the tetracycline. There's just one fish in the tank. He's being fed pellets, which i've been soaking in tetracycline.

I'm guessing it's either a fungus, parasites, or treatment resistant ich, is ich always like salt or can it form larger patches?

Basically I have no idea what it has. I never saw it itch itself until possibly yesterday when he was sort of rolling on the gravel substrate. His color has definitly started coming back since I used the tetracycline but the white spots are much larger now, including being at the joint behind his "swimming fins"

Some of the spots on the decorative fins are greenish now. They don't appear to come that far outwards of his body (they're basically 2d) They don't look fuzzy. If he's itching he doesn't scratch that often.

The white spots look more like fin rot to me than fungus or ich aka they aren't always rounded

Could you post a photo as it's hard to attempt a diagnosis from just description.

If he's camera shy, the easiest way to get a clear pic would be to record a video of him swimming around, then pause and screenshot ideal frames.

Can you mix Sulfaplex (sulfathiazole) and API General Cure (metronidazole, Praziquantel)?

I'm looking for a mixture that covers the widest range of stuff. I went with Sulfaplex because i think is probably easier on fish in comparison to kanamycin.

This is probably the best pic of the white spots, it's still not that good

What color is the inside of the mouth supposed to be? My betta's looked white and gross but I thought maybe that had to do with feeding him a lot the other day

I'm looking for a mixture that covers the widest range of stuff. I went with Sulfaplex because i think is probably easier on fish in comparison to kanamycin.

I agree, I think kanaplax is a problem if fish have any signs of bloat (or I find it is). One that may split the two meds is furan 2 in a hospital tank. More modern med but may be kinder on fish (in my limited experience).

Can you mix Sulfaplex (sulfathiazole) and API General Cure (metronidazole, Praziquantel)?

I lost this post :) I couldn't find much. In theory yes but I only look this stuff up out of interest so guessing somewhat. In practice I tend to use combinations that are commonly done or are done in meds already. Don't think I've seen this combo posted very often.

Would be interested in any feedback on use.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html#metro

http://www.biology-pages.info/A/Antibiotics.html

update: his color seems to be returning but a bulge on his side was really bad for a while and gotten better. I think it might be from/excacerbated by really aggressive glass surfing (back and forth motion, i guess flashing, it's hard to know if that's what it looks like though)

He's not rubbing his sides, it's more like he's trying to get out. He looks like he's having spasms almost because he's trying so hard sometimes

Back
Top Bottom