White spots on Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanlynah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I accidentally posted this question on the wrong forum, so I am trying again in the Cichlid section.

A few weeks ago, I noticed a spot on Oscar's right that looked like a missing scale, then it started looking white, like fuzz. I treated with Melafix and by day 3, the spot was looking a lot better, looked like it was scarring/healing and fuzz was diminishing. But about day 5 of TX, another area appeared on his left side. After the initial 7 days with Melafix, I waited two days and started another 7 day round of Melafix but it is day 6 and the newer spots are not improving.

I am attaching photos. The spot in the first four was completely covered in white when I began TX. First four are of the initial spot on his right, appears to be healing, white is almost all gone.

Last four photos are of the newer spots on his left. After 6 days of Melafix I don't see any improvement.

Are these just random scales that got injured or is this something else entirely?

Can I do another (a third) round of Melafix?

Does anyone know what this is?

Any suggestions or advice?

He's almost a year and is approx 11". He seems totally fine other than these spots, he eats fine and acts normal.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to your help!

Attachments

• image-1858774554.jpg
    image-1858774554.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 431
  • image-302765042.jpg
    image-302765042.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1076309211.jpg
    image-1076309211.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image-3626850817.jpg
    image-3626850817.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 155
  • image-1126145324.jpg
    image-1126145324.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 162
  • image-981130383.jpg
    image-981130383.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 113
  • image-846484558.jpg
    image-846484558.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,278
  • image-1301116942.jpg
    image-1301116942.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 139
HITH (hole in the head) maybe?

That is HLLE ( head and lateral line erosion) which does not respond to medication, but is treated by improving food and water quality. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality pellet like NLS.

What are your current water conditions, stock, and tank size?

It's either HITH or injuries. To me it looks like he has been running into something in the tank. Any sharp objects? Just to rule out HITH, what is the tank size? Water change schedule? Water parameters? Other tankmates? Feeding?

He is currently in a 55 gallon all by himself. Had him in 100g all by himself but the 100g sprang a leak a while back so he's been in the 55g for a few weeks now. I will check the levels in his tank when I get home from work. As far as feeding, I feed him maybe 4-5 times a week. Used to feed a worn or two a week but stopped worms about 2 months ago and only feed him cichlid sticks and shrimp pellets.

Brands I have been using for about a year are Tetras Cichlid Sticks and Wardleys shrimp pellets. What food should I be using?

Water and food issues, I guess is good news, as long as I hold up my end! Which I will cause I love this guy!

I appreciate y'all's input and advice and I will let you know what happens. You guys are AWESOME!

Brands I have been using for about a year are Tetras Cichlid Sticks and Wardleys shrimp pellets. What food should I be using?

Water and food issues, I guess is good news, as long as I hold up my end! Which I will cause I love this guy!

I appreciate y'all's input and advice and I will let you know what happens. You guys are AWESOME!

Switch him to nls or at least hikari. Your welcome!

IMO Omega One is better than Hikari, but Hikari has a huge selection. Hikari is better than Tetra, that's for sure.

Most cichlid keepers recommend NLS. I use Omega One for my fish, because it is almost as good as NLS, and a lot cheaper.

I had a similar issue with my Uaru cichlid, although no where near as severe. I started feeding her more vegetable matter (more natural for Uaru than Oscar though) and upped my water change schedule and that has made it decrease noticeably and is hardly noticeable anymore. It's sort of reversable, but not curable per say. So basically, upping your water change schedule and feeding better foods will make a world of a difference

Back
Top Bottom