White stringy fish poo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Am I right in thinking that white stringy fish poo is a sign of internal parasites? One of my guppies has started acting a little bit lethargic, shes a tiny bit paler and has started hanging up near the surface of the water by the filter. Then I noticed stringy white poo and thought uh-oh. I've had the temperature of the tank up at 32°C for two weeks to cure ich, which seems to have worked. If she does have parasites, would that temp have killed them, or is she just under stress because of the temp and thats why shes acting as she is? Any help would be very welcome. Thanks!

Is there any way I can cure the fish without using chemicals?
I wonder if this is why my corys have been acting strangely and dying on me?

Internal parasites have to be addressed with meds. If they are still eating, try a course of metronizadole medicated food. I believe most chain stores carry the Jungle brand of anti-parasitic food or amazon has Metromeds. Hope this helps!

I'm in the uk and can't get hold of the jungle brand unless I go via ebay, and that costs a fortune! Costs more to post it than it does for the actual product itself! I will try amazon though thank you :)

Fishies86 said:
I'm in the uk and can't get hold of the jungle brand unless I go via ebay, and that costs a fortune! Costs more to post it than it does for the actual product itself! I will try amazon though thank you :)

I understand, but IME if you not treat it fast, the fish will stop eating and then will be hard to save them.

Is the fish bloated or too thin? Is the poo hanging off of it or coming off? Is it white/clear/mushy or just white and firm? What do you feed and how much? Stringy poo can be a sign of constipation too and other things such as Dropsy, etc although it's usually linked to internal parasites more often than not.

Until you get the medicated food you could try feeding them thawed deshelled frozen peas and then fasting for a couple of days (your other fish will be fine with this treatment as well) and see if that helps. If not then you can try the medicated food if you can get it. I've read it's hard to get the fish to eat it though so you may need to dip it in some garlic extract to get them to eat it.

librarygirl said:
Is the fish bloated or too thin? Is the poo hanging off of it or coming off? Is it white/clear/mushy or just white and firm? What do you feed and how much? Stringy poo can be a sign of constipation too and other things such as Dropsy, etc although it's usually linked to internal parasites more often than not.

Until you get the medicated food you could try feeding them thawed deshelled frozen peas and then fasting for a couple of days (your other fish will be fine with this treatment as well) and see if that helps. If not then you can try the medicated food if you can get it. I've read it's hard to get the fish to eat it though so you may need to dip it in some garlic extract to get them to eat it.

The fish is really thin, the stringy poo is hanging on and is now twice the length of the fish it is clear white with a few opaque bits in it. I tried the peas and fasting, but she didn't eat any peas and after fasting she still isn't interested in any food I put in there. I feed them hikari micro pellets and micro wafers, flakes, and they often eat the hikari sinking wafers that I put in for the corys. I only feed a small amount once a day with a fast day every week.

I can't get any of the medicated food. Can't find it on amazon as was suggested, all the pet shops here don't carry it because there's "not much demand for it". Guess people here mostly see their fish as disposable :( how much roughly does the jungle medicated food cost? I found some on ebay but it costs £12.50, and £15 postage :/ that seems like an awful lot to me, but is that about right? I can't rally afford that much, but I think I'm gonna have to find a way to :(

Hi, I ha exactly the same problem as you whn treating my tank for ich. I too am in the uk and was sold meds for external parasites which I didn't use. Once the temp dropped in the tank my guppies perked up, I agree that getting some of the meds recommended on here is a nightmare over this side of the pond.
Good luck and I hope she gets better

maestromad said:
Hi, I ha exactly the same problem as you whn treating my tank for ich. I too am in the uk and was sold meds for external parasites which I didn't use. Once the temp dropped in the tank my guppies perked up, I agree that getting some of the meds recommended on here is a nightmare over this side of the pond.
Good luck and I hope she gets better

I was hoping that that would be the case, but the temp has been back to 25° for two days and no improvement :( shes gotten worse if anything. Shes hiding behind the filter all the time now instead of swimming with everyone else :(

I don't hold out much hope for her if I'm honest, but I'm going to try and save the rest. Am i right in thinking that if she has parasites, I can pretty much guarantee that they've all got it?

I went to pets at home yesterday and asked for medicated food, and he tried to sell me melafix. Reckoned that it cures the bacteria because it gets absorbed by the fish. Well thats great, but im pretty sure its not bacteria thats causing this! I've been treating melafix anyway because one of my corys had an infection where her barbels wore away, so i know it didn't work with the parasites. Honestly, its one thing after another with these fish :(

Parasite clear made by jungle or parasite clear made by tetra is another option.
These are effervescent tablets, you treat the whole tank twice, with a 48 hours between treatments. The cost in the US is about 5 dollars to treat a 80G tank (one treatment).

Hope this helps

Fishies86 said:
I was hoping that that would be the case, but the temp has been back to 25° for two days and no improvement :( shes gotten worse if anything. Shes hiding behind the filter all the time now instead of swimming with everyone else :(

I don't hold out much hope for her if I'm honest, but I'm going to try and save the rest. Am i right in thinking that if she has parasites, I can pretty much guarantee that they've all got it?

I went to pets at home yesterday and asked for medicated food, and he tried to sell me melafix. Reckoned that it cures the bacteria because it gets absorbed by the fish. Well thats great, but im pretty sure its not bacteria thats causing this! I've been treating melafix anyway because one of my corys had an infection where her barbels wore away, so i know it didn't work with the parasites. Honestly, its one thing after another with these fish :(

Don't take this a absolute fact!!!
Here in Australia we don't have many meds at all. I have heard of/know people who use dog wormers and bird wormers to treat internal parasites in fish. There are only certain ones with certain ingredients that work. If worst comes to worst that is an option. A LOT I reading and researching first. Ask around forums in your country and see whats available. Don't just jump in and dump something into your tank!

I have heard of using cat & dog wormers for fish before, too but it only applies to specific types wormers. Flagyl (with metronizadole as active ingredient) is the most common. Definitely do your research first before considering this route!!!!!

Have you got a maidenhead aquatic by you?? Or try some of the website over here just google aquatic stores in uk and some good ones come up I've used seapets and aquatics-online all with .co.uk
Good luck!

maestromad said:
Have you got a maidenhead aquatic by you?? Or try some of the website over here just google aquatic stores in uk and some good ones come up I've used seapets and aquatics-online all with .co.uk
Good luck!

I live on the isle of wight, so no maidenhead aquatics. obviously there are loads on the mainland, but this time of year the ferry fare across is stupidly high and I just can't afford it. Ill google and see what online uk shops I can find though.

Back
Top Bottom